You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What am I doing wrong? I make a brush adjust it where I like it and when I go to use it all the settings are gone. It does not matter what brush I make they all do it. I started adjusting it and then click close and it still does not save it. It saves after doing it like 3 times, which is not great when I finally get the brush where you want it. 

Windows 10 desktop ram 8g 

Is this in AD, or APh, or both?

I see from another thread that you’re on Windows 10. It’s a good idea to put this info and other system specs in your signature so that it’s automatically included in your posts in case it may be relevant.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Diane :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, unfortunately I'm not 100% certain what may be causing this and a screen recording showing your workflow would certainly help. If you could please provide a video to the following link showing your brush creation steps etc then we can provide some assistance!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/s8aN6zneoIGxUHcitgwx

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

This is something I frequently see...(AD 1.65) Sometimes the brush adjustments just do not get saved....

One way of bypassing the issue..is to change your settings then duplicate the brush..and use the new brush

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

8 minutes ago, Diane Window 10 Desktop AD said:

Thank you I will try that Stuart RC:)

Excellent!..usually works...I do it all the time...1.7 brush engine is better..

If you find you cannot edit a brush by d-clicking on the thumbnail in Brush Panel...right click and select Edit brush or select from context bar will get you past it...

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

4 hours ago, StuartRc said:

This is something I frequently see...(AD 1.65) Sometimes the brush adjustments just do not get saved....

There are three ways to change brush adjustments:

1. Change its properties (width, color, etc.) in the context toolbar -- this affects only how the currently selected brush will will be applied the next & subsequent times you use it, or for AD vector brushes, how the currently selected object's vector brush stroke will be applied. It is not saved, other than being 'sticky' for the duration of that editing session.
  2. With the brush tool selected, click "More" in the context toolbar. The title of the window that opens will be named "Brush - Document Defaults." As the name suggests, this sets the default properties of that brush only for the current document. It is not otherwise (globally) saved.
  3. Change the properties from the Brushes panel, either by double-clicking on the brush in the brush list or with a brush selected in the list by clicking the 4 line icon to the right of the brush category list popup. This opens a window like in 2 above, but its title will be "Brush - Editing <name of brush>" with the <name of brush> text enclosed in square brackets, like "Brush - Editing [Solid Brush with Pressure]"  for the brushes in the basic category with the "Solid Brush with Pressure" name. This is the only place where brush adjustment changes are saved globally in the app.

I am not sure if this is the source of your issue but I hope it helps you resolve or at least clarify it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

@Diane Window 10 Desktop AD

I've watched the screen recording sent directly to us and I can confirm that your issue is replicable as a bug in the current version of Affinity Designer.

We've since updated our brush engine for version 1.7 and I've tested your issue multiple times and I'm yet to see the brush changes not being saved, so I believe the bug is fixed. You can download the beta version from the following link - please let me know if this helps! :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

11 hours ago, Diane Window 10 Desktop AD said:

StuartRc

I finally got to try to duplicate the brush and it works perfectly. Thank you:)

Excellent!...Pleased you have a solution...:)

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @Abeer Windows 10 AD 1.8,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm certainly sorry to hear you're having trouble - as above it would help to see a screen recording of the steps you're taking and the issues you're having. Could you please attach a screen recording of this to your reply here?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please see our below FAQ -

Many thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...

I have AD version 1.92. I found that some of my saved Vector Brush Settings are not remembered and do not switch between each saved brush preset as expected.

For example: Setting Controller to 'Pressure' or 'None' does not stick even though the Brush Editor window properties state otherwise. The Opacity Settings also do not stay intact (e.g. 30%, 50%, 100%). However, the Brush Size does save and is remembered on every brush preset change.

Am I missing something? It is very frustrating to have to keep readjusting every brush preset over and over again just to get all the brushes to behave properly before I use them. Kind of defeats the purpose of saving presets.

This is on a Windows 7 Pro desktop machine with a 22" Wacom Cintiq.

Edited by JESTRANGE
Added system specs.

• Staff

Hi @JESTRANGE,

Welcome to the Affinity forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble here! Could you please provide a screen recording showing the issue you're referring to, so that I can see the exact steps you're taking and the results the app is providing?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Hey Dan. Sorry for the long delay. This issue is on both my Windows 7 Pro machine and iPad. The saved Brush Presets do not remember or change the Controller Pressure settings even though they are saved within the brush settings as you can see in my video capture. This occurs on both device versions of Affinity Designer.

I would expect the Brush Controller to change as I change my brush. Right now I have to always manually change the Controller settings to make all my brushes behave properly rather than the software remembering and loading what the brush should be doing by default based on its own saved presets.

Edited by JESTRANGE

• Staff

No problem at all, I certainly understand!

6 hours ago, JESTRANGE said:

The saved Brush Presets do not remember or change the Controller Pressure settings even though they are saved within the brush settings as you can see in my video capture.

I can confirm that these are independent settings and do not directly control one another - the 'Controller' setting on the context toolbar is for the tool itself and this will be applied regardless of the brush in use. If you set this to 'Brush Defaults', then you should find the setting will follow the brush in use :)