You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sort Pantone swatch palette by number or find color number

I looks like the iPad’s Pantone swatch colors are grouped by color rather than number and there is no way to search for color. This is similar to picking global Pantone colors on the desktop version of Designer. Is there any way to select a Pantone color on iPad that’s faster than endlessly scrolling? Thanks as always!!!!

Stephen :)

40C125A6-00CA-4329-AEC9-5CF4E637C817.png

• Staff

Hi segts :)

Unfortunately there's no search feature currently, but this has been requested previously for the iPad and is it's currently available on the Desktop version it will hopefully be implemented into the iPad in a future update!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

27 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi segts :)

Unfortunately there's no search feature currently, but this has been requested previously for the iPad and is it's currently available on the Desktop version it will hopefully be implemented into the iPad in a future update!

Dan, does the iPad also use csv files?

Thanks @Dan C!!!’m

The color grouping on the iPad is similar to the grouping on the desktop when selecting a global color from the global Pantone swatches. That’s something on the desktop that you were going to fix. Is that still in the works?

Thanks again!

S:)

• Staff

@MikeW Yes, I believe so, however due to sandboxing in iOS apps these files aren't accessible on the iPad so can't be sorted AFAIK.

16 hours ago, segts said:

The color grouping on the iPad is similar to the grouping on the desktop when selecting a global color from the global Pantone swatches. That’s something on the desktop that you were going to fix. Is that still in the works?

I'm sorry, I may be missing something here but I'm not 100% certain what you mean by this, could you clarify for me please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C

Hey there! Thanks for asking the question. I started a thread a year ago asking about Pantone colors in EPS. It explains the issue there.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/61659-affinity-designer-export-eps-files-and-retain-pantone/

So the color palette for desktop looks like this:

capture-001990.png.b5feb71879f87972aa6f38ecd28009d5.png.3807a3ddc50ab91e0b3511713d963a9f.png

But the Global Color palette on desktop is organized like this:

364791190_ScreenShot2018-06-18at3_49_39PM.png.54cf72bd03fbad35ea94a2954f27cb8e.thumb.png.4c2a13bd2f67b59af967e15a4d5cf3aa.png

And the Global Pantone color palette looks very similar to how the Pantone colors are grouped by color rather than number on iPad. It makes it really difficult to find the specific color that you're looking for when designing. 

Managing color on Designer seems to be the last big hurdle for Affinity. I really hope that you guys get there soon! It would take your software from fantastic to industry standard! I know for developers that working out workflow/UI kinks is less sexy than creating a new feature. But right now, Affinity already does so much for me! If I had a say, my biggest wants are:
1. Improve PDF export, don't create millions of points when translating shapes
2. EPS files retain Pantone info. This is huge for sharing file to vendors that still are not on the Designer bandwagon. My work around is sending them the EPS and having them swap in the Pantone with "Select Same" function
3. Add "Select Same" function for selecting and editing colors.
4. Improve Global Color. Give us the option to convert a color in our palette to a global color. Also give us editing capabilities to be able to make a spot or not out of our Pantone color when selecting a Global color. Right now, I can only do that when I am first selecting a Global color.

You guys are really close. I love everything you are doing. The very fact that I no longer need to make a clipping mask while working makes my heart soar!

By the way @Dan C, is Global Color for the iPad?

Keep up the fantastic work!

Best! S:)

• Staff

Thanks for your explanation, I'll log these as improvements with our developers :) 

17 hours ago, segts said:

EPS files retain Pantone info.

AFAIK, we have no plans to support this currently, apologies.

18 hours ago, segts said:

is Global Color for the iPad?

For now Global Colours are only available in the desktop version. They should be respected if you open a file created on the desktop on the iPad but there's no way to edit/create them directly on iPad currently.

Please note -

Many thanks!

@Dan C

Hey there! I haven't tried the PDF export in a while and it looks like the PDF export has improved!!! I was able to export a Pantone-colored circle to a PDF and open it in Illustrator without there being added nodes on shapes! This makes me super happy!!!! Now I can send files like enamel pin art to my vendor without having them do extra production work!  :)

I can work around not having Global Colors on the iPad as long as I have Pantone colors listed by number instead of grouped by color. Or at least add the search window in the palette!

Oh! And the two decimal places minimum on iPad would be a huge help. I design a lot with using the transform palette and entering exact coordinates. Not having true measurements on iPad really throws my workflow. I know that .75 and .8 are different sizes on the iPad, but if the number for the coordinate rounds to .8, I have no clue where to begin with adding and subtracting.

Overall, You are doing a really great job! I know people give you flack for all the things they want Affinity to add, but for software that's only on version 1, you are further along than I could have ever hoped! Thanks so much for all your team is doing! You are really making our dreams come true!

Best!

S:)