You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I discovered FastRawViewer last year, and I love it. I use it to cull Raws, and for that purpose only. But, even with that limited use, it’s a pretty sweet deal. I always rely on the histogram functions. I frequently check the “boost shadows” and “inspect highlights” feature, to see if a raw file is worth keeping. I will sometimes use the “details” and “edges” feature, but have found this to be less helpful. I really never use the white balance and exposure adjustments, since those are stored in .xmp sidecars, which I cannot then use.

I can VERY quickly move through my Raw files, assign a star rating to the keepers, and then filter only those keepers (based on the rating) to copy them to another folder.

Yes, for me, FastRawViewer is a one trick pony. But it’s fast, and it’s cheap, and the idea that I can see the Raw histogram instead of a JPG histogram makes it well worth the $20 price.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

1 minute ago, smadell said:

Yes, for me, FastRawViewer is a one trick pony. But it’s fast, and it’s cheap, and the idea that I can see the Raw histogram instead of a JPG histogram makes it well worth the $20 price.

Pretty much the same for me, though I've set it up to display "enhanced" RAW files rather than using the histogram.  As well as selecting the keepers, I've also used it to sift through 6 weeks of holiday shots, moving those that featured people to a specific folder - that's what my wife wanted, and if I can keep her happy for only $20....  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 1 month later...

I too have just discovered FastRawViewer - (through some very technical but really useful articles on photographylife.com) - FRV is brilliant - incredibly fast for checking your RAW images, with some great features (e.g. checking info in shadows and highlights) and the RAW histogram is a joy to behold (rather than relying on misleading in-camera histograms and if I might say so, the AP develop persona histogram) for those us of us newbies trying to get proficient with ETTR!! 

• 2 years later...

fastrawviewer is fine for culling   and uncomplicated editing! I also use it as a browswer to locate images I have edited and want to review. UNFORTUNATELY it does not recognize layered files I have edited in Affinity photo. It can find photos I have saved in either photoshop or tiff mode but these are compacted and I cannot re-edit the layers I would love to see again in Affinity photo. If FRV can read layered files from TIFF or PSD I would have hoped they could do so from Affinity

Jerry

8 hours ago, JerryYachats said:

If FRV can read layered files from TIFF or PSD

FRV can read the composite image in layered TIFF and you can open the image from FRV to Affinity Photo (found out FRV assigns automatically a handy key command when you add Affinity to editor list). No problem here, but using Affinity layered TIFFs as work format may not be ideal.

13 hours ago, JerryYachats said:

UNFORTUNATELY it does not recognize layered files I have edited in Affinity photo.

It works on TIFFs saved with Affinity Layers for me (as apparently, it does for @Fixx).

However, you need Affinity in order to edit those layers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1