Knollolio

[Fixed] Affinity designer crashes when pasting a table

When pasting a table from the clipboard that was copied from Word 2011, Affinity designer crashes (without warning; "Affinity Designer quit unexpectedly"). Luckily, the auto-backup saved most of my work. I was expecting that Affinity Designer would produce the table as unformatted text.

Apart from that I'm very satisfied by Affinity Designer. I have used it extensively in the past few weeks and I am amazed by the by the blazing speed of the rendering engine when working on (very) complex drawings. Although I can think of many improvements, this app is really really useful. I finally left CorelDRAW for my artwork. Love it, can't wait to see the next beta!

Hi Knollolio,

I'm sorry you've experienced a problem :(  I've just tried making a new calendar in Word 2011 and selected all and pasted into Affinity Designer 1.2 (current Mac App Store version) and I got this result:

post-5-0-48375900-1429859696_thumb.png

It's not exactly the same as the original (it's missing all the background colours of the table and the formatting is just not very impressive at all!) but it did succeed and didn't give me any errors... Is there any chance you could send me a sample Word document and tell me which items you selected so I can try it for myself and cause the crash? I'd like to fix this for you if possible :)  Just email something to support@seriflabs.com and I'll be able to pick it up - thank you! :)

Matt

Thank you for your response! I will send a file to you shortly. I tried it on both my macs and the table crashed Affinity repeatedly. A total crash of the app is something that should not happen, that's why I reported it. And also because this is an otherwise very stable app.

Hi Knollolio,

Thanks for that :)  Is there any chance you can post back on here when you've sent the file so I know to look for it - I just checked a minute ago and can't see anything yet? :)

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I just emailed the table to support@seriflabs.com (subject: 'To Matt: Copy paste this table in Affinity Designer and it will crash the app!'). 

Cheers, 

Knollolio

Thanks for that Knollolio! :)  I've had a look and can see it going wrong myself - interestingly, it seems to be something to do with the font? Anyway, I've passed it to Dave who is our resident text guru and I'm sure he'll try to sort this out asap. Thanks again for your report! :)

Matt