You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot edit shape with node tool after converting to curves

Please help! I am just getting used to Designer and having trouble editing a shape’s nodes.

I created the shape by drawing the outline of it with the pen tool, then drawing a shape within and subtracting it to make one shape. 

I now cannot seem to edit the nodes on this shape, I can only select it with the move tool and change its dimensions. I also can only seem to select with the move tool by dragging over the whole shape or clicking on the layer. I have tried selecting it and converting to curves and expanding stroke but no luck.

I took a screen recording so you can see (apologies for the mis-touches!). I am trying to edit the nodes on the ‘eye’.

Many thanks.

Edited by Sketchybee
Details

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Sketchybee. :)

The ‘eyes’ shape is a group. Tap on the little white triangle to expand the group (just as you have done for the ‘ears’ layer) and you will then be able to select the component curves via the Layers Studio.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for your response. I actually worked it out just before you posted- however I had managed to delete the curves component somehow, so it wasn’t even there in the drop down from the white triangle. I managed to go back in my history to find this curves layer and edit the nodes from there.

For future reference, do you know if it’s possible to create a new curves layer from a shape if it has been deleted? Thanks.