You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New to Affinity. Used Photoshop for over 25 years now and am an illustrator by trade. My left hand is constantly hitting 'r' or 'spacebar' to rotate or grab and move the canvas so that my right hand can constantly continue making quick consistent painting strokes.

I watched the Video about 'Rotating Canvas on Vemo, https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/ipad/video/286346469/ ... 

However I am not getting the same option in my Navigation Window for locking and unlocking Rotation as well as the Circular Dial for rotating.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Tick

Edited by TheLunarTick

7 hours ago, TheLunarTick said:

I watched the Video about 'Rotating Canvas on Vemo, https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/ipad/video/286346469/ ... 

That video is only for the iOS (iPad) version of Affinity Photo, not the desktop versions (Mac or Windows). I am a Mac (& iOS) user so I am not sure what is available in the Windows desktop app, so I do not know if or how the Windows 10 Dial is supported.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi TheLunarTick,

Welcome to the forums :) 

Currently there's two way to rotate the canvas in the desktop version:

- go to menu View ▸ Rotate Left/Right o rotate the view in 15º increments (you can also reset the rotation there);

- go to Affinity Photo/Designer Preferences, Tools section and tick Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad if you have one available. This one rotates the view freely using a two finger rotation gesture.

Smooth canvas rotation and rotation support for the Dial has been requested previously on our fourms and are features we hope to include in the future! 

FYI, you can enable the Radial Dial under Edit>Preferences>Tools (Enable Radial Controller Support) to use the Radial Dial with the Paint Brush tool etc.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

26 minutes ago, Dan C said:

go to Affinity Photo/Designer Preferences, Tools section and tick Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad if you have one available. This one rotates the view freely using a two finger rotation gesture.

Is that a Mac-only option? I don't see it in either 1.6 or 1.7 on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell, the Radial Controller is, but the trackpad isn't. I wonder if it would be the same?

radialsupp.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Yes, radial controller support is in Windows, but I asked about Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad.

Radial Controller support refers to the Microsoft Surface Dial, I believe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Is that a Mac-only option? I don't see it in either 1.6 or 1.7 on Windows.

Apologies! This is a Mac only feature.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Gentlemen, Thank you so much for your responses. I spent a good hour research how to do this on my home windows machine yesterday morning. At work I have a Cintiq ran on a Mac but at home I have the Wacom Companion 2 running Windows 10. Like I said I only use Photoshop for Illustration so I need a Dedicated Operating system for running it and the Companion 2 does just that. It is unfortunate for the time being it isn't on Windows but I understand One can only satisfy every possible scenario at any given time, so it is by no means an Affinity deal killer. 

I am so excited for Affinity and wish them the best of success. I used to use Maya for 3D but since Blender has become more robust I just through all my time towards making the switch. Blender has developed such a great community of users as well as independent developers that make tools and add-ons. I have spent over $300 dollars on a multitude of add-ons but I prefer this business model to Adobe's and Autodesk which has such a heavy price tag that it is hard for the average individual to get into the market without making other sacrifices. Hence how I found Affinity. I have a wife and three kids each with a computer and there is no way I can afford a license for each. I don't mind paying for future versions or add-ons or plugins tailored to my specific pipeline needs.

Sorry for the soap box but thanks for the response!
Tick!

• 7 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, Dan C said:

Smooth canvas rotation and rotation support for the Dial has been requested previously on our fourms and are features we hope to include in the future!

Hopefully the not too distant future ;) Could really do with this feature.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you create keyboard shortcuts for the Rotate Left and Rotate Right menu commands in Photo, you can then bind dials/touch rings on tablets to those keys so the dials work for canvas rotation. This is how the Cintiq Express Key Remote works with Photoshop's canvas rotation feature too (Photoshop has undocumented hotkeys of Alt+F14 for Left and Alt+F13 for Right, 15 degrees each like Photo). I've replicated this on my XP-Pen 22R Pro's dials and it's working great!

On 11/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Martigny said:

Hopefully the not too distant future ;) Could really do with this feature.

+1 for sure.

sorry, for having a feature request (if that's what it is?) as my very first post on this forum, but...

not being able to rotate the canvas properly is a real show stopper. 🙄 either with two fingers (am using a MS surface) or at least by holding down one key and drag with the stylus (as I would do with photoshop) should be available. using two shortcuts for rotating in 15° increments feels like having to rotate the table when working with pen and paper. sure, you can do that, but... 🤡

btw. i was very happy seeing "Touch for gestures only" in the tools preferences! :) so, there is hope for a near future update after all.