You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping vs Masking (difference)

Hi,

I'm new to affinity, so i'm watching all these tutorials (which are really good!). I understood all video's so far, until the video "Clipping vs Masking" and "Vector Masking". I don't really get the difference between these two layers. Sometimes both sort of layers give the same result and sometimes not. Could somebody explain it more clearly with examples. I also read the "Affinity Photo Help", but it didn't help.

Sry about my english.

Edited by Deathstrokexp
wrong name

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Deathstrokexp. :)

30 minutes ago, Deathstrokexp said:

I'm new to photoshop, so i'm watching all these tutorials (which are really good!).

I presume you meant to type ‘(Affinity) Photo’, not ‘(Adobe) Photoshop’!

I understood all video's so far, until the video "Clipping vs Masking" and "Vector Masking". I don't really get the difference between these two layers. Sometimes both sort of layers give the same result and sometimes not. Could somebody explain it more clearly with examples.

I thought the ‘Clipping vs Masking’ video was pretty clear, but maybe this will help a little:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

The Deathstrokeexp,

Welcome to the forums :)

This is quite a difficult one for me to explain however I think the best way to look at it is as follows. When you clip an object you are placing one object inside another meaning it will only be visible within the boundaries of the object it is clipped to. If you are masking an object you might not want all of it to be visible or invisible so you can paint Black or White onto that mask layer and only the parts painted black won't appear and white will appear. It's worth noting that by default masks are entirely white. I know that this is worded confusingly but hopefully the short videos I've attached will make this clearer.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

19 minutes ago, Callum said:

The Deathstrokeexp,

Welcome to the forums :)

This is quite a difficult one for me to explain however I think the best way to look at it is as follows. When you clip an object you are placing one object inside another meaning it will only be visible within the boundaries of the object it is clipped to. If you are masking an object you might not want all of it to be visible or invisible so you can paint Black or White onto that mask layer and only the parts painted black won't appear and white will appear. It's worth noting that by default masks are entirely white. I know that this is worded confusingly but hopefully the short videos I've attached will make this clearer.

Thanks

Callum 

Clipping example.mov Masking example.mov

Wow,

Thank you for the fast responding and great examples!!!

Now I understand it, thanks!!! :D

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Deathstrokexp said:

Wow,

Thank you for the fast responding and great examples!!!

Now I understand it, thanks!!! :D

Thats great to hear :) 

• Staff

Hi Deathstroke 

You can clip as many objects as you like it isn't limited to 2 and any adjustments applied to the parent object will apply to all the objects clipped within it aswell.

Thanks

Callum

Hi all,

This afternoon I looked at a post here which had a movie with 4 different color brushes. Now I wanted to look again to this post but it is no longer here. Did anybody removed a posting here? Thank you.

Chris

8 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

This afternoon I looked at a post here which had a movie with 4 different color brushes. Now I wanted to look again to this post but it is no longer here.

If you mean the second video in this post above by @Callum with the Masking Example, I still see it there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R,

Thank you for your reply but it is not the video I saw. I did indeed watch both clipping and masking videos. What I remember of the missing movie is that there where 4 horizontal brushes, each in a different color. The person was asking for help because he didn't understand. Maybe I am mixing threads.

Have a nice day.

Chris

5 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

What I remember of the missing movie is that there where 4 horizontal brushes, each in a different color. The person was asking for help because he didn't understand. Maybe I am mixing threads.

If it was here, I wonder if it was removed. Was it related to clipping and masking?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
On 4/6/2019 at 8:00 PM, Bad_Wolf said:

Hi all,

This afternoon I looked at a post here which had a movie with 4 different color brushes. Now I wanted to look again to this post but it is no longer here. Did anybody removed a posting here? Thank you.

Chris

The videos I posted didn't show this I'm afraid.