You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone know what this visual effect is called?

Windows 10 Home 1809, Designer 1.7.0.284.

In a Designer document I have a pink shape over a blue background and there is a dirty green/brown line around some of it at all zoom levels (that I have tried), see attached image. I've also attached the document.
The shape has no outline.
Does anyone know:
* what the effect is called?
* why it happens sometimes but not others?
* how I can get rid of it, if possible?

extra-outline.png

extra-outline.afdesign

If you turn your head (or screen) 180 degrees upside down does the effect shift to the opposite side of the shape

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Do you wear glasses? Or possibly contact lenses?

Do you still see the line without your glasses on?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I tried rotating the page by 180 degrees and the dirty line has moved sides - see attached. When I rotate my head as far as it will go the line is still where it was.
When I rotate the object, the top and right sides - as seen from a static viewpoint - always seem to have the line whereas the left and bottom don't.
Neither the amount of rotation nor the dimensioning of the object seem to make any difference.
It's also the same on both my laptop display and external monitor.
Changing to a different graphics card makes no difference either.

I wear glasses but the whole screen is a blur without them so I can't tell if the line is there or not.

P.S. I seem to have gotten myself into some kind of infinite file recovery loop where Designer keeps recovering a previous document and won't let me close without saving. If I do save the file, Designer recovers it again and the circle restarts. If I don't save I have to use Task Manager to end the application. But that's a different problem.

extra-outline2.png

@GarryP I find that my glasses create a red/brown line on one side of certain objects, and a blue/green line on the opposite side. The stripy wallpaper at my mum's house shows the effect particularly strongly!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Aammppaa, thanks for mentioning that. Not something that I've noticed myself but worth keeping in mind. (Also, ScreenToGIF - as mentioned in your sig - looks very interesting.)

>|<, thanks for the explanation. That certainly sounds like what is happening. As the thing I'm working on is for an icon/logo I don't have much control over how it will be displayed so it doesn't sound like there's much I can do about it, but I do have control over the colours so that's something I can try experimenting with. Maybe I can tweak things so the line isn't as noticeable.

Is this something that digital art professionals simply have to accept or is there a way of stopping it? (A way that doesn't require very expensive hardware that is professionally calibrated and maintained.) I'm just curious as to what experts do about this, if anything.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.