You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

shape + text frame problem (.284)

Hey!

I have encountered a problem with shapes that became text frames.

Steps:

1. I draw a shape, in my case a circle.

2. I color and adjust the circle's fill and stroke.

3. I use the text frame tool to make it into a text frame.

4. From this point on I can only access the font color. The circle's color and stroke is not editable anymore. I have attached a sample file too.

text.thumb.PNG.e35d9a891545549e251c28df3ad6c90f.PNG

Is this a normal behavior?

All the best,
Chris

text.afdesign

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

1 hour ago, ChrisSmere said:
  1. From this point on I can only access the font color. The circle's color and stroke is not editable anymore.

It would be worth to open the file in APub and see if the circle's colors can be changed from the Text Frame Studio. I'm not at my APub computer so I can only suggest, not try by myself.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

It would be worth to open the file in APub and see if the circle's colors can be changed from the Text Frame Studio.

Yes, indeed, that works.

While I agree that this is not a bug I think it follows a wrong logic.

IM(H)O it should work this way:
Select a text frame and adjust its border colour and fill with the colour controls.
Select the text itself (by double clicking on the text frame or using the text tool) adjusts fill and border colour of the text.

@willernest can you point to your feature request so that I can add to it?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Serif deliberately removed the ability to change the background color and edge of the text frame to do so in the Publisher.
So you need to make any changes in this second program.
Of course, this is pointless and has been reported many times before, so that it is possible to do these changes in Designer.
Even for a moment in a few earlier Designer Beta there was an inactive icon of the text frame. It seemed that this function would remain in Designer.

But Serif officially said it would not be available in Designer.

17.png

4 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

Serif deliberately removed the ability to change the background color and edge of the text frame to do so in the Publisher

"Removed" implies that the ability was ever there in the first place. Are you sure that it used to be possible to do that in Designer?

You need the Text Frame studio panel to do the adjustments to the frame's stroke and fill, and that panel is new to Publisher.

I don't think Designer ever offered the ability to adjust those settings for a Text Frame created by the Frame Text Tool. And for shapes it's only ever been possible to adjust them before the shape is turned into a Text Frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you create a text frame with text in Publisher and give it the background color and frame color and copy it to Designer, Designer will display everything correctly, but obviously you will not be able to change the background and frame. So Designer can correctly interpret these functions, so just put a piece of code from Publisher into Designer and that's all. However, Serif stubbornly does not want to do it?
I wrote about it in other posts. But as I said, Serif does not intend to introduce this function to Designer. The question is why?
To buy a publisher for strength? I will buy it anyway. Why change between programs to change the background color of a text frame? I still think that does not make sense.

10 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

But as I said, Serif does not intend to introduce this function to Designer. The question is why?

That is a legitimate question. Only the Serif staff know their rationale for partitioning functions between the three applications.

Possibly it's to make more money, given the very low prices for the applications, but possibly there are other reasons we don't understand. And possibly the Text Frame controls will be added to Designer at some point.

But my point is, they have not removed something from Designer. Rather, they have chosen (at least for now) not to add something new (Text Frame controls) to Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, dominik said:

Yes, indeed, that works.

While I agree that this is not a bug I think it follows a wrong logic.

IM(H)O it should work this way:
Select a text frame and adjust its border colour and fill with the colour controls.
Select the text itself (by double clicking on the text frame or using the text tool) adjusts fill and border colour of the text.

@willernest can you point to your feature request so that I can add to it?

d.

that's exactly what I think too:

why

• are you able to create a shape object with a fill and stroke
  • and convert it into a text frame object afterwards,
  • but have no control over the fill and stroke  of the shape anymore afterwards

?

Don't get the idea behind it ... it's like a one-way-street as you cannot change the shape behind the text ... so that I have to work around it:
I have to use a circle shaped text frame without fill and stroke on top of the same circle shape with fill and/or stroke and group them ... document colors are respected so that I am able to change the colors after it is converted into a text frame :-) 

8 hours ago, dominik said:

It would be worth to open the file in APub and see if the circle's colors can be changed from the Text Frame Studio. I'm not at my APub computer so I can only suggest, not try by myself.

d.

thanks - that works =) I hope this functionality will be implemented in Designer as well.

PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

9 hours ago, ChrisSmere said:

thanks - that works =) I hope this functionality will be implemented in Designer as well.

I assume this will be sorted out at some point. Maybe the integration of AD and APh into APub, once finished, will open this up. For now your workaround with two objects grouped together should do the trick :)

d.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, MickRose said:

I think Designer has always behaved like that. A soon as you convert to a text frame you can't edit the frame background.

Have just tried the same thing in the release version and it behaves differently than the beta now:

As soon as I convert a shape into a text frame the shape looses its fill and stroke (colors).
Merely the shape itself remains for being filled with text.

This is actually a better way because then it's clear how to work with that.

Strange that they changed that. Hope it will be sorted out for the next release.

• 2 months later...

Hi, as a pro I also like this feature, it's very handy if you need fast and many Standart Buttons. I also don't understand, why it's not possible to change the box fill color with Effects and don't overlay the Text.

• 3 years later...