You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to see some changes to the PDF export in Publisher regarding bleed. I would like to be able to change the bleed setting in export in the "more" dialog. This way I can set bleed (and a specific bleed value?) for a specific export-preset. This can not be done now, and I still have to check or uncheck bleed regardless of the preset. 

Having the ability to change the bleed value in the export settings would be very useful, as printers have different requirements for these things. 

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

That sounds like a good idea.

Strongly disagree. Bleed needs to be set at the beginning of the design process. It is a technical requirement linked to the physical page size. Printed verses trimmed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think, it makes sense to be able to deviate from the standard bleed during export.

One example: I create a flyer, not knowing in advance, who finally will print it. So I choose 1 cm bleed to be on the safe side.

After finishing the layout, the customer will tell, where the document will be printed. Now I export the layout using the correct bleed dimensions of this specific print company without having to modify the document in any way: Simply set the needed bleed during export.

2 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

One example: I create a flyer, not knowing in advance, who finally will print it. So I choose 1 cm bleed to be on the safe side.

After finishing the layout, the customer will tell, where the document will be printed. Now I export the layout using the correct bleed dimensions ot this specific print company without having to modify the document in any way: Simply set the needed bleed during export.

Another possibility related to what is being requested here is someone who designs documents that could be printed at multiple places - designing the document with the largest bleed deemed necessary would mean that when it was being printed later you could use the export profile to set the appropriate bleed for you (along with all the other requirements of that particular printer).  If it later needed to be printed again but a different printer was chosen, then it would only be a matter of selecting the appropriate preset for that printer and re-exporting.

Registration marks, trim marks etc would need to be adjusted to the smaller size and therefore there would need to be a mask applied to everything but somehow not mask the marks. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Yes, Old Bruce, this is standard in InDesign.

Don‘t get me wrong, I don‘t expect this kind of feature in an initial version of a publishing app. I only am convinced, that bleed settings should definitely be part of output and not (alone) of document setup.

48 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Registration marks, trim marks etc would need to be adjusted to the smaller size

Publisher can already create these dynamically so if using the ones built into the program they should be able to adapt automatically to a different bleed size.

If you are creating your own manually in the bleed area, that is obviously another matter.

I think bleed works great (now we have visual guides) I've adapted to the Affinity shazz - what I am missing is SLUG area so I can place fold marks outside the bleed area, my current the work around is to set 3mm bleed as normal for say a try-fold leaflet then create a white box that snaps to bleed guides, then create 0.5pt dashed line the extends 10mm over the top and bottom of the page place 99mm then duplicate and place 198mm (for z-fold), send to back, select all and group (both guides and white box) then before exporting the pdf, change the bleed to 7mm which in the resulting pdf gives 4mm fold marks but the trim marks are 4mm further off the page but trim in the same place ---- bit of a bine but saves from creating all the bleed trim marks manually - but would be ACE if we had slug for this --- maybe in the future???

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 19.27.17.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

Yes, Old Bruce, this is standard in InDesign.

Don‘t get me wrong, I don‘t expect this kind of feature in an initial version of a publishing app. I only am convinced, that bleed settings should definitely be part of output and not (alone) of document setup.

Agreed. There should be separate Document Bleed settings and Export Bleed settings.

21 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Strongly disagree. Bleed needs to be set at the beginning of the design process. It is a technical requirement linked to the physical page size. Printed verses trimmed.

Yes, I do set bleed at first, but as in the use case mac_heibu describes, the flexibility at export level would be useful.

But what is most important to me, is that bleed is a part of the preset I create, so using the preset will always include bleed. Seems like a simple but useful thing to implement.

22 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

ID, as mentioned, can use the bleed amount as set in the publication setup or overridden in the Export dialog.

QXP takes another approach. There really isn't the concept of bleed in the publication setup. Bleed is always there and is controlled at Export (on/off & the amount). There are bleed guides available, but they are just that, guides. These bleed guides can be changed at any time but do not control the amount of bleed. And as mentioned re presets, one can save the amount of bleed in a preset named however one wants.

I personally don't care whether APub adopted ID's or Q's method. But having bleed only in APub's document properties in less flexible.

47 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

But what is most important to me, is that bleed is a part of the preset I create, so using the preset will always include bleed. Seems like a simple but useful thing to implement.

That works here.

Ah, I see. That is a bug bad design choice, or just a flaw. Not sure how it could not be saved with the preset, get the bleed either trashed or included by mistake.