You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reporting localisation issues in Mac Publisher beta #292 & 293

• Staff

The latest Affinity Publisher Mac public beta #292 / #293 has all UI locales available.

In the app menu, Preferences > General you can choose any of the 10 languages, restart the application and experience Affinity Publisher in that locale.

We are hoping that the localisation is now basically correct, but if you see any words or phrases that are out of the ordinary, or are clipped/cropped short in the Mac build PLEASE report them in this thread, stating the language and version you are running and what OS you are seeing the problem on.

Use this thread (Do not make new threads) unless you are seeing a bug that does not happen in English, so Bugs in new threads, localisation issues in this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On a more serious note, I would suggest using “Formatsatz” (“stylistic set”) instead of “Stilset.” The first one is the received OpenType terminology in German. Have a look, for instance, at:

https://www.typografie.info/3/wiki.html/o/opentype-feature-r124/

I would suggest that you also check the other terms on the German typography panel. For instance, “Stylistic Alternates” is usually rendered as “Formatvarianten.” But “Stilset” is perhaps the most uncommon translation …

Alex :)

Formatsatz.png.01ba68a013bebf46f2db25a7ad1e04ca.png

• 2 weeks later...

The french translation for paragraph leading ( "En-tête de paragraphe") is not correct. It should be Interlignage de paragraphe. (#293)

Capture d’écran.png

In the créer un style de paragraphe window, the terme Leading is not translated properly in french: Intitulé instead of Interlignage or Interligne. (using Mac with beta #293)

1537776782_Capturedcran1.png.f1f675bac1aaab1e2fb4b46008336547.png

Edited by ericGa

On 4/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, A_B_C said:

“Stylistic Alternates” is usually rendered as “Formatvarianten.

Adobe’s page on Syntax für OpenType-Merkmale in CSS calls it „Stilistische Alternativen“, but it agrees with the typografie.info wiki that “Contextual Alternates” should be rendered as „Kontextbedingte Alternativen“ rather than „Kontextabhängige Alternativen“.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Good point, Alfred. The Adobe CSS recommendations and Illustrator are obviously using different terms. Maybe I would suggest following the terminology used in the apps of the “Creative” Suite. But this terminology might be undergoing a change as well … hmm … :/

Stylistic.png.ef5f89603cd4eb088056af6babd88213.png

As you say, Alex, hmm....

They don’t seem to be able to make up their minds between „Alternativen“ and „Varianten“.

Alfred spacer.png

in German UI the first entry in the language pulldown menu says "Standard" (English: "Default").

In German + Mac it would be more common to read it as "System" (or "Sprache des Betriebssystems") since it appears to be related to the system language (where no "Standard" exists).
Compare the term system colors - which are standard colors related to the operating system only.

Apropros System colors: the Swatches menu offers "Apple" and "System" – whereas "System" appears not to be related to "Apple" (as a systems' creator) but possibly to the Affinity applications UI colors. (which additionally appears irritating because there is no place to change the UI colors)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

German: The Help menu appears to show some keywords of the help topics (not the menu entries) in English only, though the linked help texts are in German.

1584838178_germanhelpmenuenglishkeywords.jpg.d222fa4eb9f560434a002f6e097ce82e.jpg

Some help menu entries occur duplicated but are linked to the same 1 help article.

643362927_germanhelpmenu-dups.jpg.7287941011bd8e5d8258670610cfcc09.jpg

Some German help entries show unwanted code ("&#34" and with other numbers, too), both in help menu and in help articles.

143814372_germanhelp-34-3.jpg.d866ae9849bdaf81e3afe88a04c909c7.jpg

2037938747_germanhelp-34-2.jpg.cb83a85da670efb4b7f26bf4e2cad2fd.jpg

7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Some German help entries show unwanted code ("&#34" and with other numbers, too)

" is the code for a straight double quotation mark (") but I would expect "Styles" to appear in German as „Stile“ rather than "Stile".

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

" is the code for a straight double quotation mark

So it is a local rendering issue - or a programming issue?

Do you see the same "Panel "" in your help? – Here are some more:

504851363_germanhelp-34-4.thumb.jpg.ce0976994bb84279f439ce18f47df425.jpg

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

„Stile“ rather than "Stile"

Actually indeed, all German UI and help texts don't use the 'correct' German quotation marks – but this hardly might produce misunderstanding or misuse.

What I wonder more now: is there a place in AfPub where I can define or select the quotation mark usage in my document? Not only up/down but also straight or curved-typographic. The help menu knows "anführungszeichen" (= quotation marks) but seems not to have a particular help topic for it.

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

So it is a local rendering issue - or a programming issue?

I think it must be a programming issue, since your screenshot shows some entries with " codes but others with quotation marks.

Do you see the same "Panel "" in your help?

I haven’t installed the current beta, so I can’t test this yet (and I’m on Windows, so I may see something different anyway).

Alfred spacer.png

The HTML code in the corresponding help file for those entries is messed up/mismatched ...

messed_up.thumb.jpg.4c94248c0568bc90651e0cdc5ea76b91.jpg

... instead of the amp "&" char itself where needed, it's HTML code representation "&" has been written in. So for a HTML " (") which in HTML code reads " instead something like this " was written.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

@Pauls 

On your return please check these posts have all been reported, thanks. The thread has been replaced and locked.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon