You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: How to elegantly erase unwanted colors?

Hi all,

Maybe a lame question, but I'm lost...

I have this image (attached).

I would like to get rid of the yellow spots. And later obtain only black letters on transparent background. How to do it in most elegant way? I was trying the "Erase White Paper" filter, which works great to get the transparent background, but it leaves the yellow spots untouched. I was also trying flood fill on the yellow spots, but it leaves some pixels still there... I was used to use "Replace color" in Photoshop, but I can't find a corresponding tool in Affinity Photo...

Thanks for any tips.

post-3178-0-49593700-1429798533_thumb.png

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Hi all,

Maybe a lame question, but I'm lost...

I have this image (attached).

I would like to get rid of the yellow spots. And later obtain only black letters on transparent background. How to do it in most elegant way? I was trying the "Erase White Paper" filter, which works great to get the transparent background, but it leaves the yellow spots untouched. I was also trying flood fill on the yellow spots, but it leaves some pixels still there... I was used to use "Replace color" in Photoshop, but I can't find a corresponding tool in Affinity Photo...

Thanks for any tips.

Hi Lojza,

I just gave this a quick go. If you use the "select sampled colour" from the select menu then click and select the yellow in your logo and increase the tolerance then apply. Next "invert selection" then go back to the menu bar to the select menu and choose "refine edges" and choose new layer with mask from the output menu. Just tried this and it worked for me and like you did use the "Erase White Paper" Filter..... 

Allan

post-9020-0-00954300-1429802885_thumb.jpg

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Just a quick update, similar to my last step. When using "select sampled colour" choose the black text instead of the yellow and increase the tolerance until you are happy with your selection then use the "refine edges" and again "new layer with mask" from the output menu. This will leave the text and a transparent background. Took less than 10 secs...

Allan

post-9020-0-29224900-1429804643_thumb.png

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Hi Lojza,

I just gave this a quick go. If you use the "select sampled colour" from the select menu then click and select the yellow in your logo and increase the tolerance then apply. Next "invert selection" then go back to the menu bar to the select menu and choose "refine edges" and choose new layer with mask from the output menu. Just tried this and it worked for me and like you did use the "Erase White Paper" Filter..... 

Allan

Allan, thanks for pointing me to the "Select sampled colour..." function. I haven't known about it and it seems very useful! But I still can't get my hands on the "refine edge" with "new layer with mask" option. I can follow your steps, no problem, but I have no idea, how to generalize your steps in order to use it in my usual workflows... Well, long way to go before me :)

I've used the Green channel to create a Luminosity layer, adjusted its Levels, applied an Invert adjustement, then filter Colors ▹ Erase White Paper.

Here is the result (transparent):

attachicon.gifresult.png

MEB, thank you! As I am not much used to work with channels, this was nice discovery for me! I didn't know there was the possibility to create layers from channels. This seems to me really simple...

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• Staff

LilleG,

After applying the Invert adjustement, select it and the image, make them the only visible layers, right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Merge Visible from the contextual menu (or go to menu Layer ▹ Merge Visible). Only then you can apply the Erase White Paper filter. Sorry for the trouble. I should have detailed all the steps.

Thanks, MEB.  I still couldn't get the expanded steps to do what they should.  Invert Adjustment continued to leave me with white text on a black background.  However, this worked for me.

1. In the Green Channel, create Luminosity layer

2. Turn Visibility off in the Background layer

3. Adjust Levels till the gray disappears

4. Merge Visible

5. Colors/Erase White Paper

And there's another method, which is the one I tried first.

1. Select/Sampled Color (pick the one to keep, & Refine, if needed)

2. Invert Pixel Selection

3. Paint over the unwanted color/s with a large brush filled with white

4. Filters/Colors/Erase White Paper

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This thread's getting old, but I was stuck on this, and now I find (AP v. 1.4) it's really easy:

1. sample the white background with the eyedropper in the Colour tab, and set that to the foreground color
  2. choose Select>Select Sampled Colour
  3. click on one of the yellow patches. I left the tolerance to 25%, and that selected all the yellow except for a few anti-aliasing pixels on the edges
  4. use the flood fill (paint can icon) to recolor selection to white
  5. repeat steps 2 to 4 on the pale yellow anti-aliasing pixels that are left around the areas you've recolored white
  6. set the foreground color to a suitable grey for anti-aliasing the black type
  7. repeat steps 2 to 4 on the yellowish-grey pixels where the yellow met the black type

I ended up with a clean (as far as my old eyes can see) post-6462-0-26282600-1452317554_thumb.pngversion after about two minutes' work.

Thanks, UncleMonkey. I also recently came to a simple and functional solution. (This official tutorial led me to that thought:

)

- use Levels or Curves

- change color space to CMYK (for that adjustment)

- set Black Level to 100% for Cyan, Magenta and especially Yellow (for Levels) or drag down teh end point of Cyan, Magenta and Yelow curve (for Curves)

I guess, this might be quite a universal attitude for different and more colourful images...

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
14 minutes ago, jpintos said:

In your opinion, whats is the most effective way to remove the green contamination in the clothe on this photo?

Since the contamination only affects the clothes, not the hair or skin, I would simply select the clothing and desaturate it to make the shadows grey instead of green.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes but y have 2200 pictures to edit... and the idea is not make new selections... maybe with a selective correction to save it as a preset and apply faster.... but i don't know with what preset i can affect only the green...

Done! I get it with HSL and Colorize and some adjustements in Develpe Persona.

Another question.

All the presets in Photo Persona i can save it as a LUT, that is ok

Existe a way to save ALL the presets in Develope Persona? because is not very quick should going tab per tab charging the presets...

Foto 2 CromaQUICK-Final.png