You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixelated and unwanted outline of text

Hi there!

I'm a bit confused here: In AD (1.6.5.123) I created a business card design using text and vectors only. Afterwards I used APh (1.7.0.284) to create an A5 sized design (at 300dpi) in which I placed (file -> place) the business card at its original size (file format: .afdesign). Unfortunately the placed business card appears pixelated to an extend I didn't expect. Additionally the text elements seem to have a greyish outline which they shouldn't. At a zoom level of just 300% it looks quite bad.

Even if I doubleclick in APh in order to open the embedded AD-file the business card looks pixelated at a zoom level of 100%. How can that be with a setup of 300dpi?

You'll find the documents I played with attached. Any ideas what I did wrong? Or is it a known problem with AD/APh?

Cheers, Volker

businesscard.afdesign

testdesign.afphoto

Hi Callum,

thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately the workaround in the quoted thread doesn't address the issue.

In order to be able to replicate the issue:

1. Create a A5-sized document in APh (at 300dpi)
  2. Draw a rectangle with a background colour othen than grey
  3. Place a simple vector file that includes text made with AD (made with 300dpi) at a reasonable size (e.g. 10cm in width)
  4. Now that the imported graphic looks very pixelated, doubleclick on it in order to open the embedded file
  5. Surprisingly even the embedded vector graphic looks very pixelated (to an extend I did not expect at 300dpi)

Or are my expectations of how it should look like wrong?

Cheers,
Volker

If you save your .afphoto document, and reopen it in Designer, does it still look pixelated?

(It doesn't, to me, when opened in Designer.)

Remember that Photo always displays using pixel, not vector, technology. In Designer you can use View > View Mode > Split View to see how it looks in both modes, and you can drag the slider. That would let you see how Photo would display it vs Designer easily.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you save your .afphoto document, and reopen it in Designer, does it still look pixelated?

Apparently I have different expectations from what is actually displayed in pixel mode... To answer your question: In split view (AD) it looks as bad as in APh.

But here comes my point: If I set up a document in AD with 300dpi and place this document in another document in APh (with 300dpi, too) I expect smoothly displayed characters. Because if printed they are smooth at 300dpi. The pixel mode in AD somehow simulates how the design looks on a screen with 72 or 96dpi (at least to my eye). Shouldn't it take the document's dpi setting into account?

1 minute ago, VolkerMB said:

If I set up a document in AD with 300dpi and place this document in another document in APh (with 300dpi, too) I expect smoothly displayed characters.

I think that would be true only if

1. You view at 100% zoom; and
  2. You placed it at 1:1 scale. That is, if the Photo document is the same physical size as the Designer document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

sorry for being late to respond. You are right!

I did the math: In a setup of 300 dpi a character of 12pt should comprise appr. 50 dots - in print and on screen. And it does in Affinity Photo, too (I've countet them!).

So my complaint was not justified, because the app does it correctly. Still I find the display on the screen pixelated... Need to get used to it.

Cheers,
Volker