You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any frame gets converted to a text frame if the text tool is selected when you double click on it

The title says it all, that's definitely not reasonable behaviour. I had an image frame where I wanted to replace the image, the text frame tool was selected and when I double clicked on the image, it disappeared and I could see in the layer list that the layer was now a text frame. I really don't think it should do that.

This seems like a reasonable behavior to me, and could easily be by design.  Double-clicking on a something with the text tool selected implies that you want to add text to it.  Converting that thing to a text frame automatically sounds like a nice shortcut.

As an object cannot be both a picture frame and a text frame at the same time, converting a picture frame to a text frame would lose the picture - that makes sense.

5 hours ago, kentsor said:

The title says it all, that's definitely not reasonable behaviour. I had an image frame where I wanted to replace the image, the text frame tool was selected and when I double clicked on the image, it disappeared and I could see in the layer list that the layer was now a text frame. I really don't think it should do that.

I can't see it as a fault because that is exactly what happens if you right click on an image frame (with image) and select Convert to Text Frame. Therefore it would seem that [as fde101 suggests] a useful shortcut.

Additionally if you have the text tool selected then if you move the cursor over an image in a text frame the cursor changes
to a PENTAGON with a T inside 2021210518_screenshot.PNG.7b9869379d2dd5d4909103a091fba45e.PNG and if you left click while this cursor is over your image,

you can draw a text frame and insert text 2017732915_Affinitylayersimage.PNG.af803c6c0897378088093d6550d4044f.PNG.

Once you happy with the text, style and position you could go to Layers tab, select and group the layers so that your image and text move together.

1603567978_Affinitylayersgrouped.PNG.445337949c35f2efb0d10788bfbe1b40.PNG

Pman   1126951935_AffinitySpecsmine.PNG.6fa2933d96c458e689fe4b1474e7b3b0.PNG

22 hours ago, fde101 said:

This seems like a reasonable behavior to me, and could easily be by design.  Double-clicking on a something with the text tool selected implies that you want to add text to it.  Converting that thing to a text frame automatically sounds like a nice shortcut.

As an object cannot be both a picture frame and a text frame at the same time, converting a picture frame to a text frame would lose the picture - that makes sense.

We'll have to disagree on it making sense.

• Staff

I don't really think this is desirable behaviour - it seems too easy to accidentally convert a Picture Frame to a Text Frame. Since Convert to Text Frame is readily available via Layers or Right Click I'll suggest we remove this shortcut.

18 hours ago, AdamW said:

it seems too easy to accidentally convert a Picture Frame to a Text Frame

Suggest giving an option to convert a frame back to a non-frame (simple shape) and making the shortcut only work on things that are not already frames.  In other words, double-click a simple shape with the text tool selected and it becomes a text frame, but double-click on something that is a picture frame and it does not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Clicking on a picture frame object with the Frame Text Tool selected converts it to a text frame

This issue was addressed in beta builds since 1.7.0.302. Please feel free to retest and create a new thread if you think it is not fixed or has introduced unexpected changes.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.