You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

using scroll wheel to change text values is a bad idea

I recently did some testing of publisher by making a brochure with a lot of text.

I noticed some weird behaviour when moving around in my document using my apple magic (touch) mouse: the linespacing changed suddenly and another time the text size increased as if by ghost hands...

I researched and found there is a (some might say) *neat* feature to change values of input fields by just hovering above and scrolling the "mouse-wheel" – but this sometimes also happens when my mouse-pointer is somewhere else.

Although it may be an interesting idea, I consider it a bad implementation, and in some cases it's also buggy.

Sometimes it interferes with scrolling inside a panel (like a webpage containing an annoying iframe...).

Increasing line-spacing of text that has already gotten a paragraph-style just by accidentally scrolling over the input field is not good. Maybe this is a good feature in AfDesigner, where you do much less text and have to experiment with it, e.g. logo-design, but not for type-setting large amounts of text in explicit defined typography.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);