You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo opens and closes instantly !!

dear, good afternoon

When I click on the Affinity Photo icon, the program opens and closes within the dialog box without any error message.

I noticed that when I open a file through it, it stays open normally, but when I open only the software (without any image file) and it opens and in a matter of seconds it closes again ...

My operating system is Windows 10 64 bit.

Thank you all.

Hi stokerg!

I just can not open the AF. When I click on the icon it opens and closes again, with no time for any action on my part.

In order for me to be able to edit a photo in AF I need to go to the file, right-click and choose 'open with ...'. Only thus does he, the AF, remain open.

• Staff

It will do this if a copy has "hung" after closing. The second copy opens, sees a copy already running and closes. There are 2 ways to resolve the easiest is to turn the computer off and on and then the hung copies will be gone. The other way is to use task manager and manually close the hung versions (if they are found in Task Manager) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

It will do this if a copy has "hung" after closing. The second copy opens, sees a copy already running and closes. There are 2 ways to resolve the easiest is to turn the computer off and on and then the hung copies will be gone. The other way is to use task manager and manually close the hung versions (if they are found in Task Manager) 

Great!!!

Problem resolved.

Thanks a lot, guys!!

• 7 months later...
On 4/4/2019 at 10:43 AM, marciomendonsa said:

dear, good afternoon

When I click on the Affinity Photo icon, the program opens and closes within the dialog box without any error message.

I noticed that when I open a file through it, it stays open normally, but when I open only the software (without any image file) and it opens and in a matter of seconds it closes again ...

My operating system is Windows 10 64 bit.

Thank you all.

Hi, marciomendonsa

Go to C:\Users\.....\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings

Open "Aplication" file using Notepad.

Now you must find this command and set "False", like this: 

<ShowWelcomeScreen2>False</ShowWelcomeScreen2>

Save file. 

Problem solved!

• 3 months later...

Well this is weird - I posted here a week or so ago and it’s been removed?! I was asking for help because I am getting this problem on my PC  with Windows 10. When I try to open Affinity Photo from the desktop OR if I try and open it from an image in my pictures library I get the initial screen with the version number and it’s says 'loading fonts' then it opens a larger window for a few seconds and then just closes. I have made sure no other version is running and I have tried setting the welcome screen to False in the Application file in settings but it doesn’t help.

I  am trying to open version 1.8.0.585.

Anyone got anything else I can try or where I can go for help? I’ve paid for this software and I can’t use it so I’m very frustrated! And why was my post removed?

Thanks for any help!

Peter 

• Staff
38 minutes ago, Peter Beaves said:

...so I’m very frustrated!...

@Peter Beaves

I can understand that you are frustrated, this is not normal for most customers, we will help if we can.

And why was my post removed?

I saw your first post (last thursday) to the forum needed approval, and rather than add it to this thread,  I split it into it;s own independent thread here, in case the cause was different

As you see it got replies including one from Leigh the head of Tech Support.

Unfortunately I did not appreciate that when users have their posts split into new threads (like yours was) that those users did not automatically follow that new thread, so I doubt you received any of the notifications or replies. Sorry this was my fault.

Please go to that thread (press the Follow button) and provide any information requested to help resolve this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon