You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I wish this button was OK instead of Close

I doubt that changing the label of the button would have the effect you want. What's important, I think, is whether the button has the focus or not.

However, on Windows, pressing Enter does work to close that dialog, unless I have clicked in the opacity field. If I've clicked in the Opacity field, the first Enter sets the opacity value, and it takes a second Enter to close the dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

MacOS X and newer generally discourage having buttons named "Ok" - button names are supposed to be verbs and be named for what they do.

The label on the button has nothing to do with the shortcut key - a button can be made the "default" button that responds to the return and enter keys regardless of what it is named.

Ok, you all know what I mean. I don't write OS X code, nor to I watch whether OK is OK or not. Who cares. I want the window to close when I press the enter key. I did say I don't care if it says Close as long as it closes. If fact I don't care if it said "WHO CARES WHAT THIS BUTTON SAYS AS LONG AS WHEN I PRESS THE ENTER KEY THE WINDOW CLOSES."

Sounds like you need confirmation from someone else on Mac whether pressing Enter closes that dialog box for them. As I said, it works on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sounds like you need confirmation from someone else on Mac whether pressing Enter closes that dialog box for them. As I said, it works on Windows.

Here on Mac I need to use the escape key to exit that pane, I always hesitate because in my mind that escape key means (to me) to cancel the operation.

If I type a value in the box and hit enter the value is entered and the box stays open, another hit of the enter key gets me a system beep and the box stays open. 

When I say enter key I mean the return key and the enter key on the extended keyboard.

I don't know if this is intended behaviour or an OS glitch but it kinda sucks being unable to close the box with the keyboard enter key.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

When I say enter key I mean the return key and the enter key on the extended keyboard.

While many applications treat them as having the same function, these are actually distinct keys on the Mac and some applications do treat them differently.

For example, in the FileMaker Pro database product, if I am entering text into a field, the return key will add a line break, but enter will commit the record (save the changes and stop editing).

On a Mac laptop keyboard, since it's compact, the enter key is the return key. For programs that treat the two commands as something different, holding down on shift when pressing enter/return gets the enter behavior. However, that has no impact here. So neither return nor enter closes the dialog - no matter how many times you press the key.

For one thing it is not a dialog box but a floating window.  It floats on top but otherwise acts like the studio panels - you can work with things behind that window and it updates to follow the selection; a dialog box generally would not allow you to do that.  This does not correspond to the old-style "ok" behavior here and closing the window does not cancel the changes because they are being made "live" and applied instantly, not just previewed.

Pressing return or enter to close a floating window is not a standard behavior, nor should it be - you are not acknowledging anything or giving your approval, you already did that by making the changes in the first place.

As @Old Bruce pointed out, the escape key does work on the Mac to close this floating window.

18 hours ago, JaneE said:

personally I wouldn't expect pressing enter to close the window.

Neither would I, which is why I was kind of surprised at this thread.

18 hours ago, JaneE said:

it's irritating when there's one behavior on Windows and another on Mac - unless it is a platform specific standard.

There are such things, they are two different beasts.  Logically it makes more sense that return/enter would NOT work here, but I don't know if there are specific standards for this on that other platform.