You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EXR and JP2 still unsupported

Last few betas had the same issue, since EXR is my main format I just stopped using the Photo betas and forgot about posting about it again.

Some EXRs show up in the navigator (Quixel's do) but aren't rendered in the Canvas. Regular EXRs from Nuke don't render anywhere. ACES compliant EXRs don't render either. This bug is new to the 1.7 betas. The retail version still works fine with EXRs. 

Same goes for Jp2. You open a JP2 and both Navigator and Canvas stay blank.
With the exception that Jp2s crash the retail version.

It happens with all of my EXR files. I have the non-destructive 32-bit settings on btw since I need to work with these files.

Jp2 files open for you? I have to batch them through ImageMagick to regular 16-bit PNGs.

Do you have a link where to upload them?

EDIT: Just tried enabling the destructive EXR settings one by one. Doesn't make a difference.

• Staff

Are you sure this isn't related to OpenColorIO with Metal compute? (I'm going to assume you use OCIO)

The whole OCIO pipeline is currently broken with Metal compute—if you disable Metal compute and switch back to software under the Performance preferences section everything should work fine. I've been opening EXRs produced from various software (with OCIO configured) and haven't had any issues. The developers are aware of this and it should be fixed soon.

If that's not the solution to your issue, it would be great if you could provide samples as Gabe suggested so we can have a look. Thanks!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Yes. They work fine on my end. Please upload some files here so we can investigate this: https://www.dropbox.com/request/O4bgQBOxUBeG8UtqdpTH

What is the source of those files? Did you save them from a web browser? Exported from a different editor? 

See:

On 4/4/2019 at 3:26 AM, Frank Jonen said:

Some EXRs show up in the navigator (Quixel's do) but aren't rendered in the Canvas. Regular EXRs from Nuke don't render anywhere. ACES compliant EXRs don't render either. This bug is new to the 1.7 betas. The retail version still works fine with EXRs. 

Some JP2 files crash Photo on Windows, too. Others don't.

The sample file posted in this other topic crashes both the 1.6 and 1.7 versions of Photo on Windows for me:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, James Ritson said:

Are you sure this isn't related to OpenColorIO with Metal compute? (I'm going to assume you use OCIO)

The whole OCIO pipeline is currently broken with Metal compute—if you disable Metal compute and switch back to software under the Performance preferences section everything should work fine. I've been opening EXRs produced from various software (with OCIO configured) and haven't had any issues. The developers are aware of this and it should be fixed soon.

If that's not the solution to your issue, it would be great if you could provide samples as Gabe suggested so we can have a look. Thanks!

That was it. I disabled Metal compute (now the app is really slow) and the image now renders in the canvas. Jp2s also open now without crashing the app.

While you work on the OCIO stuff anyway… how about a direct path from one model to the others? It'd be nice not to have to go through the Terminal each time I need to go from and OCIO  output sRGB view (ACES) to an ICC sRGB output for the web or image print.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Some JP2 files crash Photo on Windows, too. Others don't.

The sample file posted in this other topic crashes both the 1.6 and 1.7 versions of Photo on Windows for me:

Yup, that's a very efficient crash here too. Just tried it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, randomjames said:

I've attached the file for reference.

cn16005644.jpg.jp2

That file crashes Affinity Photo 1.7.0.333 Beta on Windows, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:09 PM, randomjames said:

Just checked with Metal turned OFF, and it crashed as well.

I've attached the file for reference.

cn16005644.jpg.jp2

FWIW, I opened that file in Preview.app & in that app exported it as a new JPEG 2000 file using a variety of different Quality slider settings, including "Least" & "Lossless" & a few intermediate ones. All of those files opened in both the 1.6 retail & 1.7 beta versions of Affinity Photo on my iMac without any issues, & in both Preferences > Performance is set to Metal.

Since there seems to be a reluctance to post other jp2 files to this topic (why?) & I did not have any other convenient source for them, I tried opening several ordinary jpg format files I already have in Preview & exporting them to jp2 files as above. All those jp2 files also opened in both versions of Affinity Photo without issues.

I don't know enough about the JPEG 2000 format to draw any definitive conclusions from my tests, but until the developers can do something about this, at least for Mac users using Preview.app to 'fix' whatever Affinity Photo chokes on should provide a workaround for using those troublesome files in both the retail & beta versions of the Affinity apps.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the 'fixed' versions also open in both retail & beta versions of Affinity Designer, too.

EDIT 2: I just noticed that all the files I 'fixed' with an export from Preview.app include an alpha channel (even though there is no transparency in the source documents), while the original cn16005644 file that crashes in Affinity does not. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, though.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.