Frank Jonen

EXR and JP2 still unsupported

Last few betas had the same issue, since EXR is my main format I just stopped using the Photo betas and forgot about posting about it again.

Some EXRs show up in the navigator (Quixel's do) but aren't rendered in the Canvas. Regular EXRs from Nuke don't render anywhere. ACES compliant EXRs don't render either. This bug is new to the 1.7 betas. The retail version still works fine with EXRs. 

Same goes for Jp2. You open a JP2 and both Navigator and Canvas stay blank.
With the exception that Jp2s crash the retail version.

It happens with all of my EXR files. I have the non-destructive 32-bit settings on btw since I need to work with these files.

Jp2 files open for you? I have to batch them through ImageMagick to regular 16-bit PNGs.

Do you have a link where to upload them?

EDIT: Just tried enabling the destructive EXR settings one by one. Doesn't make a difference.

Are you sure this isn't related to OpenColorIO with Metal compute? (I'm going to assume you use OCIO)

The whole OCIO pipeline is currently broken with Metal compute—if you disable Metal compute and switch back to software under the Performance preferences section everything should work fine. I've been opening EXRs produced from various software (with OCIO configured) and haven't had any issues. The developers are aware of this and it should be fixed soon.

If that's not the solution to your issue, it would be great if you could provide samples as Gabe suggested so we can have a look. Thanks!

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Looking for a manual/documentation? Check affinity.help for online help!

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Yes. They work fine on my end. Please upload some files here so we can investigate this: https://www.dropbox.com/request/O4bgQBOxUBeG8UtqdpTH

What is the source of those files? Did you save them from a web browser? Exported from a different editor? 

See:

On 4/4/2019 at 3:26 AM, Frank Jonen said:

Some EXRs show up in the navigator (Quixel's do) but aren't rendered in the Canvas. Regular EXRs from Nuke don't render anywhere. ACES compliant EXRs don't render either. This bug is new to the 1.7 betas. The retail version still works fine with EXRs. 

Some JP2 files crash Photo on Windows, too. Others don't.

The sample file posted in this other topic crashes both the 1.6 and 1.7 versions of Photo on Windows for me:

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

1 hour ago, James Ritson said:

Are you sure this isn't related to OpenColorIO with Metal compute? (I'm going to assume you use OCIO)

The whole OCIO pipeline is currently broken with Metal compute—if you disable Metal compute and switch back to software under the Performance preferences section everything should work fine. I've been opening EXRs produced from various software (with OCIO configured) and haven't had any issues. The developers are aware of this and it should be fixed soon.

If that's not the solution to your issue, it would be great if you could provide samples as Gabe suggested so we can have a look. Thanks!

That was it. I disabled Metal compute (now the app is really slow) and the image now renders in the canvas. Jp2s also open now without crashing the app.

While you work on the OCIO stuff anyway… how about a direct path from one model to the others? It'd be nice not to have to go through the Terminal each time I need to go from and OCIO  output sRGB view (ACES) to an ICC sRGB output for the web or image print.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Some JP2 files crash Photo on Windows, too. Others don't.

The sample file posted in this other topic crashes both the 1.6 and 1.7 versions of Photo on Windows for me:

Yup, that's a very efficient crash here too. Just tried it.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, randomjames said:

I've attached the file for reference.

cn16005644.jpg.jp2

That file crashes Affinity Photo 1.7.0.333 Beta on Windows, too.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

I noticed also the crash when opening images downloaded from Google ( jp2) . Both Designer and Photo (Mac version) crash when trying to open these files...

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com