You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey all!

Just started trying out both Affinity products on Windows today and I've run into a snag with Designer.

It seems that I cannot get my file to export as an SVG properly - the "embedded document" portion does not export. Is there a checkbox or step I'm missing??

I am able to export everything as a PNG if I don't resize on export - if I try to resize then the embedded doc portion again does not show up.

I've attached the files I get so you can see what's going on as well as a screenshot of my layers in designer.

Could also use a tip on how to set the exact artboard size - haven't figured that out just yet...

Thanks!

designer.PNG

NewInterstate-v1.png

NewInterstate---v1.png

NewInterstate-v1.svg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Oh, thanks!

I had used Inkscape to trace the screen and saved it as an SVG so I'm really not sure why Designer doesn't like to export it.

Maybe I'll try again with some different export/save options from Inkscape - the Image Trace feature in Illustrator was honestly one of my most used tools so I'd really like to get Designer working with the files I get from the tracing in Inkscape. (Why there isn't just a trace in Designer is a bit beyond me but hey ho)

This is helpful tho, I appreciate it!

Just for the hell of it I have exported using Export persona and used all the SVG settings like for export, for print, for web and all of them export the original document to svg with the embedded document. I used the Artboard1 as the export source.

1165671575_ScreenShot2019-04-04at22_22_19.png.134f9cb20ec8f1a62ede6133af26446c.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 minutes ago, royalba94 said:

Maybe I'll try again with some different export/save options from Inkscape - the Image Trace feature in Illustrator was honestly one of my most used tools so I'd really like to get Designer working with the files I get from the tracing in Inkscape. (Why there isn't just a trace in Designer is a bit beyond me but hey ho)

Try PDF

34 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Just for the hell of it I have exported using Export persona and used all the SVG settings like for export, for print, for web and all of them export the original document to svg with the embedded document. I used the Artboard1 as the export source.

1165671575_ScreenShot2019-04-04at22_22_19.png.134f9cb20ec8f1a62ede6133af26446c.png

Huh - I might try and reinstall then cause I've just tried them all again using my file and the one you modified after rebooting my PC with the same results as before (no embedded doc)

Hopefully that does the trick but we'll see...

51 minutes ago, royalba94 said:

I had used Inkscape to trace the screen and saved it as an SVG so I'm really not sure why Designer doesn't like to export it.

Export or Import from/into Designer?

I've tried with my own tracer ...

monitor1.jpg.4c7e9a78b5eb9a5db70e91440164fcb4.jpgmonitor2.jpg.6509cd9b3b65592db9bd46db86620918.jpg

... and then let that generate a SVG, loaded that into AD and exported again from that as a SVG which works.

mac_trace.jpg.1269081f0e1a146b3d61f89b60b38c40.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Ah Ok I see now export of Artboards . - Well that works too here on the Mac side, used your above AD file and can export that as an SVG (for export). Also when afterwards loading that SVG back into AD also everything is there and looks Ok so far, also the embedded monitor parts.

ad_svg_reload.jpg.37178ccbdbaed5b4183ccc1070f3fbb8.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2