You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Before and after paragraph spacing

In other programs I use when I increase the before and after paragraph spacing the spacing between the paragraphs increases incrementally. In Publisher nothing happens for quite a while until I have entered 5 points or so and then the lines jump a considerable amount. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

This behavior is a bit of pain when trying to precisely set up lines to fit.

Sounds like  you have Align to Baseline grid turned on in the Paragraph style.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for your response! Even with "align to baseline grid" unchecked the paragraph spacing is still augmenting by leaps and bounds. 

This does seem to be some type of snapping behavior. Whatever it is, I don't think it should be the default behavior. Every other program I use allows for precision adjustments. 

I have also tried making the font in the paragraph exactly the same size and font, just in case font or font size  was an issue.

There are far too many places we can have Align to Baseline Grid set for me to list them all, I am sure I would miss one. The the only way I can get the sort of behaviour you are describing is to have it turned on.

Are you using paragraph styles? Are you changing the space before/after with the text caret in the text and just overriding the settings in the Paragraph?

Could you save a copy of the document and strip out most of it so you just have the problematic text frame(s) and page(s) with the messed up space before/after problem and post that here so we can take a look at it.

58 minutes ago, music2bmade said:

Every other program I use allows for precision adjustments. 

I can get tenths of a point adjustments here, maybe higher precision but I doubt that would be useful in real world situations.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I can get tenths of a point adjustments here, maybe higher precision but I doubt that would be useful in real world situations.

Just created a brand new doc and the problem went away even with Align to Baseline checked. Before and after paragraph does incremental spacing as I expect.

I have had this template through the various betas so I could play with the program a bit. Maybe it is corrupted. Knowing your docs are working as expected made me wonder if this doc was any good.

Sorry. I deleted the file. My doc was made from a very old version of the beta. I think whatever problem it was has been fixed because new docs are working without problems. There were no issues on a complete project that I worked on yesterday. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.