You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frames - columns - balance issue

Hi,

I'm using latest version (1.7.0.283). I created A5 doc (landscape spread, upright pages), with Master Page A for Front and back cover + Master page B for all other pages.

On Master B I inserted text frames containing 2 columns on each page.

In a document page to which I had assigned Master B, I instead text, copied from a PDF file, into the left-hand column. The text flowed halfway down the page then... continued flowing into the right hand column! I noticed that the text though was 'balanced' over its depth.

I tried deleting the space to the left of the top line of text in the right hand column - meaning to delete any hidden formatting which may have caused the text to flow into the next column.
However, it only caused the bottom line of left hand text to flow into the right hand column.

Inspection of the text frames revealed a 'Balance' function that was ticked, which I unticked - but there was no change.

I cannot find a way with Affinity Publisher to display any text formatting commands (i.e. as in MS-Word) so cannot be sure there isn't some hidden command causing the text to flow into the adjoining column before reaching the bottom of the column.

Anyone any ideas?

17 minutes ago, oldwestern said:

I cannot find a way with Affinity Publisher to display any text formatting commands

From the Menu, Text > Show Special Characters.

Edit: On Windows, if I go to the Master page and turn off the "Balance text in columns" option in the Text Frame panel the text on the document page does adjust.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

Thank for Show Special Characters info - I was too busy looking through the studio dropdown menuso.O

I've now solved the issue for my purposes (FYI) by:-

a) closing down all studio menu boxes 

b) opening only those I wanted to use

c) going back to the master and un checking the balance column function in all columns on both pages of the double page spread.

I appreciate C may have solved the issue without needing to close the studio menus boxes.

Cheers, Hal.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.