You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

coloring architctural drawings

Hello

I'm an architect and new to the Affinity universe, and i've been working with both Photoshop and A Illustrator to prepare either presentations and rendered drawings ( plans, sections, urban and landscape).

Is anyone using this programs for the same scope? Where can i find tutorials? I've been looking some of them and it seems like most of them are specifically for designers?

Thank you.

Hi, d.retagi,

There haven't been lots of discussions about use for architecture. Try a search on "architectural." I can recall a few that used APhoto to enhance 3D renderings, some about coloring floor plans and town plans. Not long ago, there were some questions about using Sketch-Up rendering in a manner similar to Photoshop/Illustrator. I haven't worked w. Sketch-Up for about 10 years, and at least 6 for Illustrator, so the files presented contained lots of details that were out of my scope. 

Perhaps if you offered a small sample of what you've done, there will be people who might comment on Affinity specific methods.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I have been adopting AP little by little in my workflow. All my 3D post production is done here importing my .exr files. Only one thing still bugs me is the "magic wand" when selecting a color using the material/object ID, is way too limited and is not soft or antialiased like PS. I know that there is the selection refinement but for archviz this is not ok.

Now, when I try to use it for facades and floor plans is where AP falls behind since some basic tools are still missing, for example the bucket tool to read all the layers, vector fills, or create a vector object using the bucket tool to name a few. Although, I hope this tools gets improved over the time.

Sorry if I misspell some tools, I'm away from the computer and I don't remember the proper names:$

Juan.

Yeah it can be done, but I think for building up the presentation Publisher is the perfect tool that goes along with Photo. The beta version is free to use for now, give it try.

I have play a little bit with it and is pretty neat for this kind of job.

Looking at the cv/portfolio, It seems to me that you do a lot of bit map compositing. Affinity Photo is better at isolating portions of bit maps and blending them into composite images. Designer would certainly handle laying out the schematic renderings and photo composites.

Previous posts have brought up problems w. using AutoCad output. AutoCad does not require closed vector entities, and it does not export .svg files. So adding color fills to schematics in Designer can take some work.

As just mentioned above by jc4d, there are quite a few Adobe features that do not now exist in the Affinity suite. I do not use APhoto much, but other users have commented that they can get similar results as Photoshop, sometimes easier, but using methods quite unlike those used in Photoshop. Other times, there are work arounds that are not too difficult. Affinity does not do auto tracing of selections. One must save those off, and use a dedicated utility to create a vector object. My experience is that it takes a minimum of 15 seconds to create a vector object that way, but rarely more than a minute.

One thing in the portfolio that Designer does not do is have the ability to create dimensioning lines. While the data is there, and the on screen display will show  dimensions, there is no tool to create a line showing sizes at defined units.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet