You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

wrong icons with light background settings

I use the current beta version on my PC and on my Laptop with light background settings.

Both (PC and LT) operate under Windows 7 64 bit.

On my Laptop icons in Affinity Photo Beta look finPCSetting.JPG.22a2c100c043637efc7c64788560f9c8.JPGe, on my PC the icons have a black background.PCSetting.JPG.22a2c100c043637efc7c64788560f9c8.JPG

LaptopSetting.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gabe,

sorry for the late reply, I overlooked this answer.

I am not sure about your question.

I am always working locally on my laptop and on my pc.

My impression is, that the background of the icons is displayed transparent on my laptop and with black color on my pc.

I suppose that this is some kind of application setting. My Affinity Publisher software shows the same icon behaviour on my pc and on my laptop. It seems to be  Affinity specific. Even the start screen already of Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher show a black background on my pc and a transparent background on my laptop.

Thanks for supporting!
Harald

photoStartPC.JPG

publisherStartPC.JPG

photoStartLaptop.JPG

publisherStartLaptop.JPG

• Staff

Thanks. It looks like an issue with icons transparency. A Windows issue, and not an issue caused by our app. 

You can have a look here: https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-black-background-behind-folder-icons-windows10/ or https://superuser.com/questions/1118434/how-to-prevent-black-boxes-on-desktop-icons-in-windows-after-removing-shortcut-a and decide wheater you're confident enough to follow the instructions or not. We cannot recommend nor suggest any OS changes that are not directly related to our app. Alternatively, contact Microsoft and see if they can have a look for you. 

Thanks for the reply and the advice.

But I am not sure whether this will help me. I think the links you provided do not refer to my problem. I have no problems with windows icons. I did not remove the shortcut arrow (see my screenshots). I only have problems with Affinity icons when used by Affinity software. I use other software on my pc with light designs and corresponding icons, which show up correctly.

Is there a possibility to clear all affinity icons? Can I modify the way these icons are used?

By the way, I followed the instructions to delete IconCache.db with no success.

You can try this which may or may not help but will eliminate one possible cause

Close Affinity Photo

Navigate to....

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0 old

Restart Affinity Photo

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

It's definitely something to do with your transparency. You can clearly see it here, where the PNG does not render as transparent

image.png

Perhaps you need to update your graphics drivers? 

Yes, I agree that this must be some kind of transparency issue on my pc.

But what is irritating me is that I only experience it with Affinity applications (see example image, where I have Photoshop CS6 open and Affinity Photo, both with light design. Only Affinity Photo shows this transparency issue).

I also completely uninstalled all Affinity software, deleted all remaining Affinity files and directories, cleared the registry, deleted windows icon cache. After restart and installation of Affinity software the same issue again.

For my graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti) I do not see an option to modify or adjust transparency behaviour. One possibility could be that Affinity software uses a different PNG transparency implementation than my photoshop software and that my graphic card has an issue for that particular transparency implementation (although hard to imagine).

Anyway, seems that I have a very special specific issue here. Thanks for your support. For the time being I will live with this issue on my pc (on my laptop with windows 7 64 bit and on my win 10 microsoft surface pro  it is working fine).

TransparencyPSandAff.JPG

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.