You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Duplicated group changes made on both groups?

Hi community,

I've found an odd behavior (bug or feature?) on my macos Affinity Photo 1.6.7. Sometimes when I duplicate (command+J) a group and I edit the contents of a layer within the duplicated group, for instance it's position or size, the changes are also affecting the original group.

Am I missing something or there's a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

Ale

Hi Lee, thanks for your reply.

Probably I didn't explain the issue very clear. The duplicated group belongs to the same .afphoto file and there's no Macro ever recorded for this file involved.

So far what I've tried:

• restart the application
  • move "linked" elements out of the group
  • copy both groups to a new .afphoto file
  • save as a new .afphoto file

Following either of the steps the problem persists, the only thing it works is to move one of the duplicated groups to a new file and work in two independent .afphoto files.

Posting an example .afphoto file with this issue might help.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

When it happens again check you only have one group selected in the Layers panel, if you have both groups selected then any changes you make, such as positioning or sizing will affect both groups

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

23 minutes ago, carl123 said:

When it happens again check you only have one group selected in the Layers panel, if you have both groups selected then any changes you make, such as positioning or sizing will affect both groups

Thanks, I've checked it before and I am only selecting one layer or group at a time.

Attached a screenshot and a video to show the problem. I just noticed that there's an orange marker on the left side of the linked layers:

Orange markers.png

Just now, alectro said:

Attached a screenshot and a video to show the problem. I just noticed that there's an orange marker on the left side of the linked layers:

That's Ok, I did not realise you were using symbols

Did you create this document or someone else?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I created the file and I'm pretty sure I didn't create symbols, at least not intentionally. Those are just text layers

Affinity photo doesn't have symbols, right? I'm wondering if something odd happened when I used "Edit on Affinity Designer" option.

Mmmm, it's all getting a bit weird now maybe they are not symbols after all

I'll let someone else figure out what's going on 

So you created the original document in Aphoto, then edited in Designer? When you took the Photo document into Designer, did you intentionally create artboards or did Designer do that automatically?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 4/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, carl123 said:

Mmmm, it's all getting a bit weird now maybe they are not symbols after all

The "Copyrighting" groups & each of the Artistic text layers are symbols -- that is obvious both from the vertical red lines in the Layers panel & from hovering the pointer over any of those items in the Layers panel, which pops up info about their unlinked attributes.

The weird part is even when opened in Designer, the Symbols panel is empty, as if there are no symbols in the document. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, >|< said:

Despite the orange bars, these objects have "(Group)" instead of "(Symbol)" appended to their name.

Yet they also have unlinked attributes just like a 'true' symbol would, & the Artistic text objects behave as if they were linked children in the parent group object, so I am provisionally sticking with the theory that they are symbols & the groups have incorrect labels.

28 minutes ago, >|< said:

The Symbols panel will not contain a definition for an instance that has been been copy-pasted from another document.

There is (so far) no indication that the OP pasted anything from another document but if so that might explain it.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, >|< said:

Yes, I noticed that respective children of the two Group/Symbol containers were linked, but that does not prove that the containers are Symbols.

You are right about that, but I am operating under the theory that if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck. xD

Affinity Photo 

15 minutes ago, >|< said:

duplicating the duck

Otherwise known as ‘ducklicating’? duckie.gif duckie.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

59 minutes ago, >|< said:

In the past, I have had the situation where objects have been linked to each other (and sporting orange bars) despite no longer being inside any Symbol (or Group).

How did that occur, can you replicate it or was it a bug?

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

...the theory that if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck

...or a hunter. - So maybe sometimes a dangerous theory.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

27 minutes ago, >|< said:

Well, duplicating the duck produces a definite Group; there the duck is a walking quacking Group rather than a Symbol.

In the video it is "walking" (behaving as a) symbol but "quacking" (displaying as a) Group in the Layers panel. Since this topic is (I think) about the cause of the odd behavior, I am sticking with the theory that it is because it is a symbol.

Affinity Photo