You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with the choice of color gradient

Hi all,

I have problem with the choice of gradient color in beta version. After clicking on the color or the slider the window with the selection disappears. The program behaves unpredictably. I have tried to reinstall AP. In the normal version everything works ok.

Win7 x64, Latest version of AP Beta.

Don't worry - This is not the only problem with the gradient tool - it basically is completely wrecked (for a long time already) ... try to insert new color stops and move them ;-)

Adding to the problem: AP does not automatically come up with an empty layer (this is - as I was told - "By Design". What surely makes a lot of sense since many people use AP to work completely without any layer /sarcasm_off) ... For many other operation the problems caused by this "designed feature" can be overcome by telling AP to automatically add a layer. Regretfully this does not work for the fill feature (meaning also not for the gradient tool). So if you forgot to add a new layer but edited a complex gradient structure nothing happens - but adding a new layer NOW makes the gradient tool forget everything you entered before ... such an amazing professional workflow ;-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

While investigating this I've found a different issue, and I logged it with our developers.

Hi Gabe, what did you find (and even more important) What did you log? :-)

Cheers, Timo :-)

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

• Staff

It turns out it's not actually a bug, but just working slightly different. We've changed some things on how the gradient( and nodes on the gradient) work and this issue should be fixed. We should be releasing the new build to the forums soon. 

On 4/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, GabrielM said:

It turns out it's not actually a bug, but just working slightly different. We've changed some things on how the gradient( and nodes on the gradient) work and this issue should be fixed. We should be releasing the new build to the forums soon. 

No my friend, it is totally broken. You cannot change the colors you cannot do anything with the slider. It is broken worse in the latest beta than in the previous if that is possible

If it is not totally broken and is in fact a new feature, pleas explain how to achieve a gradient

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

On 4/6/2019 at 6:30 PM, Rick G said:

No my friend, it is totally broken. You cannot change the colors.....

I can sign that.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

On 4/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, DarkClown said:

AP does not automatically come up with an empty layer

That is indeed annoying.
And I think that with a large number of users confusion arises when a gradient is applied either to a pixel layer or to a fill layer.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Hmm, ETA is not that important from my point of view ... our job is to cause awareness - if that is given Serif will put it into their schedule - and I guess we can be sure they will if it's a major feature that was wrecked in development (by no means meant in a bad way - that can happen!).

The layer topic is something that annoys me a lot more ... selling the "no-layer-at-startup policy" as "by design" and than starting to build heaps of workarounds that people can work with this ridiculous "design" feature gives me the impression that it will NOT change ... Frankly it's OK to try something new ... but it shows real size when you can admit that the first approach was a nonstarter. But it doesn't look like that ... so I presume we will have to live with this "by design" concept ... and as well deal with the fact that not ALL assistant functions, implemented to overcome the weaknesses of the design, will be put in place (since they had been pointed out 1.5 years ago already!) ... wait, did I say ETA is not important? :-)

And no ... I won't mention "workflow" again ... I will not ... not again ... bummer ... sorry ;-)

What is strange is that I don't have those problems with gradients on Win 7 x64 (AP & AD).

About adding automatically a layer, it should be an option in the Assistant, I've got no problem with the way it behaves now.

Super,  In the new beta (293) works the Gradient tool very well on layers. Daumen.png.33140fdce44d7554183daa25a439ae61.png

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.