You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problem with page size

I am trying to format a book manuscript for printing with Amazon KDP. I have set the trim size to their specification but their response is , "I noticed that your interior has a size difference that needs to be addressed, currently your file is 6.92" X 9.83", it should be 6.69" X 9.61" I have set the spread setup dimension to their specifications and it doesn't seem to translate. Why is that? How do I solve it? Should I just reduce my current measurements by the difference? Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.

I just did some snooping found this page: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201834180

One of the "trim sizes" they list is 6.69" x 9.61" so I am assuming that is the book size you are going for?

They also indicate to add .125" to the width and .25" to the height of the page to account for bleed.

Based on their diagram, it looks like they are expecting .125" of bleed on each of the top, bottom, and outside edges, with no bleed on the binding edge, but allowing for a 0.5" "gutter margin" that might get lost to the binding in determining where the text should go and seem to be assuming a 0.25" margin around the rest of the page which should be considered as non-text-safe.

I would interpret this to mean that you should have the page size set to 6.69" x 9.61" with .125" bleed on the top, bottom, and outside edges with zero bleed on the inside edge, plus margins set to 0.5" for the inside edge and 0.25" for the other edges, resulting in a PDF page size of 6.815" x 9.86" (this is the page "trim size" plus the bleed).  I am a bit lost on where the quoted 6.92" x 9.83" size would be coming from - though if you doubled the bleed for the width and added it to the page size you would get 6.94" x 9.86" ???