You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rectangle frame wrong type in layer list, missing toolbar, ghost frame

I made a partly transparent rectangle with rounded corners using the rectangle tool. Pretty sure I used the straight corner version and set the corner radius to 10. Not sure what I did in between, but now that rectangle is listed as a text frame in the layer list called "mm", and I no longer has access to changing the corner radius that I can see. Also, if I make that layer invisible with the checkbox in the layer list, the frame of the rounded rectangle remains until the document refreshes.

In the layer list is a small green rectangle that I made as a test, it seems to appear correctly.

Anyway, please hurry and take my money, you deserve it :-)

Thanks

Kent

576150448_ScreenShot2019-04-02at3_50_11PM.thumb.png.bb7f2e24a7c1ce9b310a22a189382c8d.png703977666_ScreenShot2019-04-02at3_50_21PM.thumb.png.cf88acec8d82206753bb6f27f6014d0d.png

14 hours ago, kentsor said:

I no longer has access to changing the corner radius that I can see

Try selecting one of the shape tools or possibly the node tool after selecting that layer - I don't have it in front of me at the moment so can't check it myself but I believe I remember that you can still get to those controls depending on the selected tool, after a shape has been converted to a text box.

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

Try selecting one of the shape tools or possibly the node tool after selecting that layer - I don't have it in front of me at the moment so can't check it myself but I believe I remember that you can still get to those controls depending on the selected tool, after a shape has been converted to a text box.

Ok, you say "after a shape has been converted to a text box".  Is this expected behaviour ? That really doesn't seem reasonable to me...

Incidentally the only reason I made the partly transparent rectangle, and put the text frame on top was that I couldn't find a way to make the text frame itself have a partly transparent background. What am I missing here , how is it done directly?

4 minutes ago, kentsor said:

Incidentally the only reason I made the partly transparent rectangle, and put the text frame on top was that I couldn't find a way to make the text frame itself have a partly transparent background. What am I missing here , how is it done directly?

Create your Text Frame. Then, in the Text Frame panel (View > Studio > Text Frame) specify the Fill that you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, kentsor said:

Is this expected behaviour ? That really doesn't seem reasonable to me...

It shouldn't happen on its own but there is a menu option to convert an arbitrary shape, closed path, etc. to a text frame.  This allows you to create text frames that are not rectangular, but the feature obviously works with other shapes too.  I am guessing you may have done this accidentally after creating your rectangle?

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

It shouldn't happen on its own but there is a menu option to convert an arbitrary shape, closed path, etc. to a text frame.  This allows you to create text frames that are not rectangular, but the feature obviously works with other shapes too.  I am guessing you may have done this accidentally after creating your rectangle?

Ah, no I'm quite sure I haven't explicitly converted the rectangle to a text frame with the menu item. I see the menu item now, but never noticed it before. It doesn't have a shortcut so that'd not be it.

Is there a way to make a text frame have a partly transparent background ?

20 hours ago, fde101 said:

I think I figured out why it happens. If you happen to have the text frame tool selected when you double click on another frame, for example an image frame or rectangle frame it will instantly become a text frame. That's really not reasonable behavious if you ask me...

1 hour ago, kentsor said:

That's really not reasonable behavious if you ask me

Sure it is, that is a great shortcut I hadn't caught before.

If you are using the text tool then presumably you want to create text.  If you double-click on a shape with that tool selected, this suggests you want to add text to that shape, so it makes perfect sense that it would convert the shape to a text frame to make that possible.

I like that.

It does not make sense that it converts picture frames to text frames.... something is wrong somewhere

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.