You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using one Publisher File as Template for Many

I was wanting to start using Publisher for documentation at work and would like to keep all of the generated documents looking the same even though 5-6 people will be creating them.  What would everybody suggest be the best way to accomplish that?  I realize there aren't tutorials yet.  I created a few layouts as drag-drop assets, which will help some, but it'd still be nice to be able to have 3-4 different Master Pages that just acted like Templates that you could drag into place, then just edit the pictures or text that are on them. 

Does that make sense?  Or does anybody have any good ideas on how to create something like this so that I could generate assembly/testing/shipping documents that all have the same formatting?  I'd greatly appreciate any input

Seems like you are at least 90% there at the moment. Affinity products do not have Templates but you could make one finished "assembly/testing/shipping document" Save a copy of it naming it 'Assembly-Template' then strip out everything you don't need and just have the Master Pages and a blank page. On Mac we can lock the documents so they are Read Only and when we open them we have to do a Save As... before we can do anything like work on it. This system of a locked document works for me. All my Styles are there in each document and they are different from the default styles and the styles in the other lock documents are unique to them as well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

On Mac we can lock the documents so they are Read Only and when we open them we have to do a Save As... before we can do anything like work on it.

The Mac Finder also has a "Stationery pad" option that is very useful for creating template files. As explained here, when a file's "Stationery pad" box is ticked, opening the file will create & open a copy of the file with " copy" appended to the file name, leaving the original untouched.

The only thing that might be considered a drawback to using this instead of the "Lock" option is that on opening a file with the "Stationery pad" option enabled, the new copy of it is immediately saved to the same folder as the original. So if users want to save the copy to some other location, that has to be done manually in Finder. That can be done relatively easily by using Affinity's File > Reveal in Finder option (even on-the-fly while the file is open in Affinity) but it is still an extra step.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Why not use an embedded APu file for this?

Embedded files will only display one page. Wouldn't that make using them as a template a bit difficult?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

The only thing that might be considered a drawback to using this instead of the "Lock" option is that on opening a file with the "Stationery pad" option enabled, the new copy of it is immediately saved to the same folder as the original. So if users want to save the copy to some other location, that has to be done manually in Finder.

Which is why I use the Locked version.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Seems like you are at least 90% there at the moment. Affinity products do not have Templates but you could make one finished "assembly/testing/shipping document" Save a copy of it naming it 'Assembly-Template' then strip out everything you don't need and just have the Master Pages and a blank page. On Mac we can lock the documents so they are Read Only and when we open them we have to do a Save As... before we can do anything like work on it. This system of a locked document works for me. All my Styles are there in each document and they are different from the default styles and the styles in the other lock documents are unique to them as well.

I didn't realize that you could do that on a Mac.  That would help me as that's what I've been using but not anybody else in the company.  I've slowly been getting pulled more and more into that dark side.  Thank you though. I appreciate the reply!