You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I save my panel positions as workspaces (and transfer to another computer)?

Hi!

As many of us, I'm used to the UI of adobe – although we may not like every behaviour – much of it has proven to be at least consistent and practical.

I encourage the affinity-team to experiment and try new ideas for a workflow optimised UI that's fun and easy to use – it does not have to stay the way adobe settled. 

But what I'm essentially missing is a way to keep all the _different_ panels arrangements I need per usage - so called "Workspaces" in adobes parlance:811121085_Bildschirmfoto2019-04-02um17_22_39.png.e8c2fc62cceb60fe248846e7c00dcf0d.png 

Maybe that is what the "Personas" are for, which is an interesting approach, but I use workspaces to quickly fill my screenS(!) with all the relevant panels and to close the not relevant ones for the job I'm doing right now. 

It's not always just "Exporting" and "Drawing" like the personas allow me to use – sometimes I need e.g "Screendesign", "Typesetting"or "27 + 21,5inch Monitor maximized" "13inch Laptop minimal"

(I'm speaking of the separated mode, of course)

Second use-case is to be able to move my Workspaces to a different computer or a new system-installation. I already have to arrange the panels on the 3 Affinity-Apps times 2 (beta) on three machines (3*2*3=18) which is not fun to keep just roughly synchronised...

Is there a way to manually get the .plist-file and put it on the new machine, I'm not sure where the panel-positions are stored.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

3 hours ago, woefi said:

Is there a way to manually get the .plist-file and put it on the new machine, I'm not sure where the panel-positions are stored.

In a word, no. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as finding & copying a single .plist file.

On Macs, the per user settings for the retail apps are stored at file path ~/Library/Containers in subfolders with names beginning with com.seriflabs, like this:
17158996_Libcontanersseriflabs.jpg.2afe86e0bf8a61cf30ccb4cadf006dec.jpg

The contents vary but for example, most of the Affinity Photo settings are in the /Data/Library/Application Support/user/ subfolder in files with the .propcol or .dat extension. The betas have a somewhat similar structure but are stored directly in the per user ~/Library/Application Support folder.

However, even if you could figure out which one(s) store panel positions, it is likely that at least some of that data is machine-specific, since different Macs have different sized screens & resolutions. There may also be other issues related to sandboxing & aliases, but the bottom line is the apps are not designed for this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7