You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just trying to put together some CD packaging which will prob end up as an 8pg booklet so thought I'd have a crack at doing it in Pub - the bands management have hinted they may want to change colours somewhere down the line, I always setup affinity jobs with global colours from the start (surely should be a standard feature) so this won't be an issue if they say whey want to change all the orange to green, just a couple of clicks. My prob is, as global colours loses it's assignments between documents and affinity apps, I figured I'd just keep the master cover art as .afdesigner format and place in publisher as linked - but it's painfully slow to the point I can't position the cover art where I need it as theres about a 2 minute wait watching the beachball spin - I've also tried embedding, copy pasting the original, changing view quality and retina rendering to the fastest - nothing makes a difference - it just slows to a crawl  - I'm on El Capitan - 5,1 6 core  Mac Pro with 48gb of ram

Also, as with the latest beta of Designer,I can no longer drag items into my assets panel

Any Ideas???

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 13.09.59.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Just done a screen capture to illustrate the slowness although quicktime hasn't captured the spinning beachball for some reason, in the screen capture it just has a normal curser arrow? which makes it even more boring to watch - but I've had no choice but to abandon pub for now ---- damn back to InDesign Cs5 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

It appears to be a screen redraw problem related to the complexity of some vector information on the page - I've nailed it down to the 'Totally Radical Studios' logo which was originally quite a complex vector logo, which I've now simplified quite a lot but it still causes some slowdown by having it on the page, if I remove it, everything speeds back up to normal speed - I've used the original complex logo on a previous CD booklet job which was put together using a few previous Publisher betas and everything just worked at normal speed - I'm guessing a workaround would be to have a master logo in designer and link to it - but i'd lose the convenience of just dragging from the assets panel and clicking on a global colour, which is the way it should work (and always has in the past) - I've used this method for the past 10 years or so using my Indesign library so really pleased Assets potentially does the same kind of thing, although as I said earlier I can no longer drag stuff into my assets panels on Pub and Design

Hope this eventually gets sorted

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 15.04.59.png

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

global colours loses it's assignments between documents and affinity apps

This is a bad thing.  Just in case anyone actually wondered.

I get that it can't maintain "correct" links to global colors that don't exist in the context of the new document, but the apps could try to match them up by name and reuse existing global colors of the same name (keeping the colors already in the target document), then recreate any without matches, when pasting.

51 minutes ago, fde101 said:

This is a bad thing.  Just in case anyone actually wondered.

I think a lot of us have just taken these things for granted coming from Illustrator and InDesign, where you can create a logo in Illustrator (which doesn't assign global colours by default), realise you want to change a colour, but you have the ability to select same fill or stroke (which I really miss) and assign a global then copy paste the logo into indesign which also pastes in the palate which you can edit, as global is the standard in indesign, I remember doing an 200+ page NHS manual which I'd illustrated throughout with around 800 black and Pantone 300 blue illustrations - they said they wanted to change the Pantone 300 to a different colour, once they settled on Pantone 321 (more of a greenish blue) I simply created the swatch in indesign and deleted pantone 300, it then asks what colour to replace with = 321 - a few seconds later the whole document is all correctly set up in the new spot colour - that was around 10 years ago and I just didn't think it was a big deal back then - really miss that now

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 17.07.04.png

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.