You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imported PDF bug .283

PDFs created by InDesign which contain bulleted lists display incorrectly when imported into Publisher.

The InDesign CS5 bullet list was set as a paragraph style and used a specific glyph which had a character style applied.

I tried exporting as PDFX-1(2001), PDFX-4(2008) and High Quality Print with the same results.

In the screenshots below, the top one shows the original Indesign Document and the one below shows the exported PDF placed in Publisher.

1990321201_ScreenShot2019-04-02at12_03_27.thumb.png.c758478e59fd3007e80188539bed78d9.png1154539663_ScreenShot2019-04-02at12_00_34.png.dc508e053af0f3948e9cd560386ea399.png

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

Looks like, because a PDF has no sense of paragraph/character styles, that APub is both included the static bullet character and using a reconstructed p.style/c.style.

That said, I cannot immediately replicate it.

On further testing, it seems to depend on the Text After character used in the InDesign style. 

A space doesn't seem to cause problems, but tabs, em space, en space all cause formatting issues.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

4 minutes ago, Jim_A said:

On further testing, it seems to depend on the Text After character used in the InDesign style. 

A space doesn't seem to cause problems, but tabs, em space, en space all cause formatting issues.

I tried tabs and that resulted in expected, single bullet, behavior.

I'm having trouble reproducing it myself.

It could be a font problem with the original InDesign document which used Kozuka Gothic Pro. If I change the font, the problem disappears. My system is showing Kozuka Gothic Pr6N in addition to Kozuka Gothic Pro, so this could be a problem with the fonts on this machine.

Could someone try importing the attached PDF into a Publisher document to see if it displays double bullets (as it does on my system). If I open the PDF in a PDF viewer, it appears fine.

list-export-kozuka-pro.pdf

On further investigation, this problem only seems to appear with certain fonts. 

So far, I have identified:
Kozuka Gothic Pro
Kozuka Gothic Pr6N
Adobe Heiti Std 
Heiti TC
Kozuka Mincho Pro 

I think many of these were installed with Adobe Creative Suite CS5.

There may be others, but I haven't had time to check.

------

In addition, if the InDesign-exported PDF is opened in Preview and re-exported as a PDF, it appears fine in Publisher.

(I see from other threads that PDF passthrough is not a simple task.)
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/67957-why-cant-a-pdf-just-be-placed-without-option-to-edit/&

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.