You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merge text shrink to fit text frame

Hi

I understand mail merging itself is some way off yet, so this is more than a little premature, but is there any possibility of a 'shrink to fit' option for merged text in a text frame?

This feature is the one reason I'm still using MS Publisher as Indesign can't do it without some clunky post-process scripting which takes forever to run.

I do a lot of work with name badges which have to fit a limited space, so this would be fantastic for me and well worth a purchase.

Good luck with the rest of the development in any event - seems like it's shaping up to be a nifty little product.

1 hour ago, Ashley Willis said:

I do a lot of work with name badges which have to fit a limited space, so this would be fantastic for me and well worth a purchase.

Hello @Ashley Willis,

a 'shrink to fit' option is not available.

I would set up a couple of paragraph styles with different font sizes and character spacing and name them 'smallest possible', 'small', etc.. I then would assign keyboard shortcuts to these and this way could swap the attributes very quickly.

That's not fully automatic but could work reasonably fast with a little practice :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi

Thanks for replying.

Your suggestion is a useful one for small batches, but I would need this to work on a merge file - I might have 4000 records or more to run, so I'd need it to be dynamic/automated I'm afraid!

I'll keep an eye on this project to see if this is ever considered, but otherwise I'll have to stick with MS Publisher (I'm aware this requirement might not be very high on the priority list for development :()

1 hour ago, Ashley Willis said:

I might have 4000 records or more to run, so I'd need it to be dynamic/automated I'm afraid!

Well, 4000 is indeed a large number for doing this manually.

I was successfull by marking multiple textframes and assigning them a paragraph style with only one keystroke. If it's possible to group the names that are all above a certain amount of letters this could help. But I admit this is still far from automatic.

I also think it can be a valid solution to simply use that software that does the job :)

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil