GreatSouthernBear

When will there be a guide to acceptable Photoshop Plugins?

One of my major interests in this app was the hope to get away from Adobe but to continue to use the plugins that I have spent a small fortune on. So far I have found that the only way to discover if a plugin will work is to try it and find that either this app crashes or the plugin that comes from other app causes a crash in both. This is really frustrating. If the plugins are not going toward or are incompatible or Serif has decided not to support it why not block the installation rather than allowing you to run anything and see if it is going to crash the app and ruin your work? I am enclosing a bunch of Crash Reports and a System study…hopefully I will be able to figure out wether my Affinity Photo 1.6.7 is the source of the crash directly or is it the plugin that is the guilty party and if there is any kind of a fix to be had. This is an  issue that runs through the released versions and the beta versions.

For Affinity.zip

I don't know if such a guide already exists, but it sure would be useful if it did.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

There is a list (for Windows) maintained (I believe) by one of the Serif staff (@MEB) but on his personal website. I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. And I'm not sure if it's relevant for those on a Mac.

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/win/

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.523 Beta

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And I'm not sure if it's relevant for those on a Mac.

As you might expect, the ‘Affinity Photo Plugins Support (Win)’ list is for Windows users. The corresponding list for Mac users is here: http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/mac/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

10 hours ago, GreatSouthernBear said:

why not block the installation rather than allowing you to run anything and see if it is going to crash the app and ruin your work?

Surely you wouldn't install and run an untested plugin on production work or even a W.I.P. you would test it out on a test/dummy document so you don't ruin important work... wouldn't you?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 hours ago, GreatSouthernBear said:

...  why not block the installation rather than allowing you to run anything and see if it is going to crash the app and ruin your work?

That sounds reasonable in theory but in practice that would mean Serif would have to test each & every PS plugin on both the Mac & Windows versions of Affinity Photo to build a database of those that work, those that don't, & (ideally) those that work partially. There are thousands of PS plugins, & more being created or reworked all the time, so there is no practical way for Serif to do this.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

You will find that many forum users will report on their experiences with plugins. If you are interested in a specific plugin, then use the Search box to find out what works and what doesn't. Be aware that if you search for a two-word name such as Filter Forge, you will need to enclose that name in quotes: "Filter Forge".

In the case of Filter Forge, for example, it will point you to a thread which will tell you that Filter Forge 8 will work with the latest beta on Macs, but not on  Windows.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Maybe a report post where people add their info about which plugins they've tried, which work, and which don't and in which version.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 4/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, firstdefence said:

Maybe a report post where people add their info about which plugins they've tried, which work, and which don't and in which version.

It would be awesome if the company would REPORT to US what filters they support and are working with for future support. I cant find nothing about filters from them officially or otherwise.

7 hours ago, dizeyner said:

It would be awesome if the company would REPORT to US what filters they support and are working with for future support. I cant find nothing about filters from them officially or otherwise.

If does seem a bit half-hearted and for many people plugins are part of their workflow and/or how they process their work. Not knowing only creates frustrations, Affinity really should send out clearer messages, and have a better FAQ page then at least users would know where they stand. 

It's pretty amazing that a lot of plugins do actually work, Filter Forge 8 in Affinity Photo Beta 1.7. being my all time favourite - it's like a mega-plugin. I generally try to keep plugin use to a minimum, unless I want a pattern or a specific effect that would be tedious to create by hand.

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

It's pretty amazing that a lot of few plugins do actually work...

That is very mild and benevolent expressed.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

52 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That is very mild and benevolent expressed.

Considering that there are hundreds of PS plugins in existence, that a lot of them are not cross-platform compatible to begin with, that some of the older ones don't even work with recent PS versions, & that they all were originally written specifically for the PS plugin architecture, I don't think there is anything 'benevolent' about saying it is amazing that a few/lot/some do work in Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2