You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After using Designer for a few months now, I've gotten comfortable and efficient with the interface, much more so than with Illustrator.

Occasionally, I'll find a small bump and realize that affinity likely has a solution, and sure enough, I either find a tool I had not been aware of online or by myself, following the increasingly familiar Affinity design logic.

One tool I keep thinking exists but doesn't though, is color swapping between objects.

I love how color swapping looks and works between fill and stroke, which is especially smooth and cool on iPad. 

As an extension to that, I find the impulse to select 2 objects and swap their fill colors, or their stroke colors. I believe this would come in quite handy and feel very intuitive. As an extension, perhaps cycling might be good as well, basically selecting various objects and cycling their color through each one.

When designing, this would greatly help with and incentivize exploration and experimentation.

Cheers!

I am away from the 'real' computer right now so I can't check but can't you just select the object and then hit X on the keyboard to swap stroke and fill in the colour studio?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

hit X on the keyboard to swap stroke and fill 

Yes:

The active colour is whichever is shown at the front. In this illustration the active colour selector is: (A) Stroke, (B) Fill, (C) Colour 1 (Foreground), and (D) Colour 2 (Background). You can quickly switch between colour selectors by pressing the x .

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Panels/clrPanel.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

The original question is ambiguous.

I interpreted it as…

1. Select two objects (for example a red square and a blue circle)
  2. Swap the fills between the two objects (to get a blue square and a red circle)

But I could be wrong!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

The original question is ambiguous.

First suggestion: color swapping between fill and stroke.

Second suggestion (as an extension): swapping fill/stroke colors between 2 objects.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks all!

@Aammppaa you're right, the actual feature suggestion is to be able to color swap between objects, however there's no question. Sorry if the explanation wasn't clear.

To rephrase: It'd be useful and time-saving to be able to swap colors between objects.

For example you select Graphic A + Graphic B » swap color tool » Graphic A + Graphic B

I mention the existing fill-stroke swapping because it'd likely look and work in a similar fashion.