You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD/AP 1.7.0.284 asks to recover file already saved

Hello, Serif team.

As we all know, Affinity is preset to automatically save a document every 300 seconds (5 minutes). So far so good.

The problem is in version 1.7.0.284, both AD and AP. I make my document normally, and of course, it takes more than 5 minutes for this. So I save the document and close the Affinity program. So when I open the affinity again, the message RECOVERY FILE appears, as if the program had been abruptly interrupted.

I would really like it if I could disable the auto save function. Unfortunately, the minimum time that Affinity gives me is only 30 seconds. I would like to disable this function, because many times while doing auto save the program simply disappear from the screen as if it had never been there.bug.png.55816747d787738d64aadf1d4b59d64e.png

Hi,

Strange, I wanted to report a similar bug: AD crashed after saving and exporting a file. When I opened it to check if the file was correctly saved or needed to complete it, it asked to restore different unsaved files.

In fact, those 10 files are the same one saved at different stages while working on it. It happened on Win 7.

2019-04-01_235103_cr.png.40f015158392edea11ae70feec36897b.png

Something similar happen on Win 10 at work, when I reopened a file, and wanted to save it, AD didn't save the file as usual (no prompt), but asked to save it as if it was a new file (since the file already exists, and since it wanted to save it in the right folder, it had to ask about overwriting the existing file).

The problem I had is I couldn't cancel this action and close AD, choices when wanting to close the file or the app where: "save" or  "cancel". If I cancelled, I went back to the previous state with the file open in AD. I had to save as a dummy file I would delete afterward.

I think I found the cause of the problem.

AD and AP 1.7.0.284 does not check if the file is successfully saved and not delete recovery file after save.

When we save on external HDD drives, there is a slowness between the "save" and device mechanism "wake up" and get to work. Affinity is shutting down the program without verifying that Windows has successfully saved the file. Thus, Affinity does not delete the Recovery file. That's why when you open the program, it opens the Recovery file as if there was a problem during editing.

The only way is to save the file and wait a few seconds before closing Affinity. It is a failure of the program. It should close only after confirming that the file has been saved and then deleting the Recovery file.

A simple flowchart could help the Affinity programmer.

[1] The user is closing the program!
[2] The document was successfully saved?
    (Yes) Delete Recovery File and close Affinity
    (Not) go to [3]
[3] Save the document before close Affinity?
    (Yes) Save the document, check if was saved, delete Recovery File, close Affinity.
    (Not) Delete Recovery File and close Affinity

I'm experiencing similar behavior, when i open AD pop ups a windows asking to restore lost files, and then i have like 4 or 6 tabs with copies of documents in different stages of my work.

Also i detect slow performance maybe because AD is saving bunch of copies.

Edited by Bekuo

• Staff

@Bekuo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

To all participants, 

We have replicated this and have reported it to the developers.

@Jon P please check that all the cases in this thread are covered in your report.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.