Nazario

File icon is blank

Howdy, Im starting to use AD more and more as I slowly migrate away from Illustrator. Its just dawned on me that the files AD creates don't have a preview or even an icon for that matter. Just the generic blank sheet of paper icon. Is this right?

I don't get QuickView previews or an icon in any view. List, column or icon view. Nor an icon on the desktop. Everything shows up with the generic blank icon. I'll try and reinstall when i can and see what happens.

I recently had a similar problem when Open With…  (shown under Get Info in the Finder) got changed from "Open with Preview" to "Open with Affinity Designer." Changing that back to Open With Preview made all my preview/icons reappear.

I recently had a similar problem when Open With…  (shown under Get Info in the Finder) got changed from "Open with Preview" to "Open with Affinity Designer." Changing that back to Open With Preview made all my preview/icons reappear.

I was going to try that first before I did a reinstall. It got me thinking that since I installed the Photo Beta I've had this problem maybe as its a cross app file format theres a bit of a conflict with the 'open with' facility. I have noticed that if i create or save a file in AD it has no file extension or icon but if i take the same file and open and save it in AffinityPhoto Beta I get the preview and icons and the file extension for Photo Beta.

I'll take a another look when I can.

I think you may be right about the cause.  I first discovered the missing previews after downloading the latest Photo beta.  Then I prolly compounded it while trying to find a solution.  Noticed that Designer saves had .afphoto extensions.  Changed them back to .afdesign using Change All and then my Photo saves had .afdesign extensions and no previews.  Went round and round like a demented squirrel before noticing that Open With was not what it should be.  And changing that back to Open with Preview fixed all of them.

Maybe a reinstall will fix it.  Let's hope so.  A reinstall of both Designer Beta and Photo Beta was one of the things I tried before the Open with.  Didn't fix it for me but by then I had prolly bolluxed things up with the Change All dealie.

I haven't got round to reinstalling as been far too busy however after another Photo Beta update the icon on the desktop just reappeared and is working again?!

I had the same problems.

No preview/icons. I tried all the tips from LilleG but nothing changed.

So today i uninstalled AP Beta and the preview/icons reappeared. 

I installed AP Beta a couple of days ago and bought the AD yesterday

in the McApp Store. Maybe that info helps.

This one bit me twice.  The latest Designer Beta mucked up my icons.  Turned out it was a glitch in the download process.  I deleted the beta and the icons came back.  Did a second download and install with no problems.  The first time it happened, I tried so many things trying to get the icons back that I really don't know what fixed the problem.  This time however, it was a bad download.  Maybe my system hiccuped during the process.

Is this problem being worked on as I have lost all my icons/previews for Affinity Designer since the last update!

All affinity files are showing as blank icons.

Not easy to find a file I need to work on as I may have a dozen different files of differing layouts/sizes/colour schemes, finding the right one is taking forever.

Whenever I saved an AD file to desktop, it showed up with an all white icon. Previewing by pressing the space bar works, also Cmd+i shows the contents.

Now I found out why: in OSX 10.10 there's a checkmark in the preferences for each folder (Cmd+j, "show icon preview", "Symbolvorschau einblenden" in German) - setting the checkmark makes the icon appear as expected. Maybe that's the issue that many users experienced.

Whenever I saved an AD file to desktop, it showed up with an all white icon. Previewing by pressing the space bar works, also Cmd+i shows the contents.

Now I found out why: in OSX 10.10 there's a checkmark in the preferences for each folder (Cmd+j, "show icon preview", "Symbolvorschau einblenden" in German) - setting the checkmark makes the icon appear as expected. Maybe that's the issue that many users experienced.

Cmd+J is for Desktop preferences and not individual files and folders. Its something to do with AP Beta and AD and the cross file format I'm sure.

I've had them go in and out several times and it seems like each time, there's been a different cause and a different fix.  Once it was a bad download of Photo, once OSX Security and Privacy was set to "Allow applications downloaded from"…on "Mac Appstore and recognized developers" and it was not recognizing Affinity Designer Beta as being from a "recognized developer."  Dunno' why but that's the error message I was getting.  Changed that to "Allow from anywhere" and that fixed that episode. (BTW, great Security when it will let me open and run an app but not show a preview icon!)  Another one was the cross Open With dealie, etc.  I have no idea what the problem is, or how I'll fix it next time. ;)

I am so tired of this!  Everything has been fine for a while.  Opened an psd in Affinity Design...did a SaveAs to .afdesign to the desktop.  File icon is blank…and set to Open with…Affinity Photo!  Checked the folder with all my Affinity Design files…all blank again.  Get Info reveals that 2 are set to open with Affinity Designer Beta, the rest are divided between Affinity Design and Affinity Photo.  Checked the folder with Affinity Photo files…all blank.  Why?!!!!  What is going on with these file icons?  In the Finder, they're blank.   If I look in the folders using the Open command within Affinity, the file icons are fine.  But if Apple is doing it, why is it only doing it to Affinity files?  

I had the same problem some time ago.

But there was a great fix using a copy/ paste terminal command.

Maybe you can search the forum for that threat or I'll search for it later. This fix sort of rebuilded something... Some dependecies or such ...

I just did some googling and one suggestion was to use the Force Quit command to Relaunch the Finder.  That worked.  All the icons were instantly back to normal.  Next time it happens, I'll try that first.  I still have no idea why files saved in Designer should be set to open with Photo but I don't care that much either.