You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Closes randomly

Hi,

I'm not doing much today, and yet AP has closed many times on me, seemingly at random, with no crash dialog or such.

One scenario that seems preety often is when closing one of the images, or opening many at once. (memory issue?)

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

I have been getting that too with multiple images which I usually  find is one or more of the images that won't load. If I resize them with another program first, they load. That points to Photo not reading the file correctly. Sometimes you can load the bad one by itself. Whatever is causing it also happens in batch processing

Also sometimes the program doesn't close but just sits there OR sits there and drags the system to a stop

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Also got countless AP closures connected with many actions, just out of nowhere; just posted a topic in this forum dealing with one occurrence where the issue was reproduceable.
I guess it's no memory problem as it happened with just one single picture (no matter if TIFF or JPG) open on a machine with 32 GB RAM.

I have created a panorama of 6 images, exported the image and then just closed the image to make a new pano.
Every time I close the picture, AP ends itself.

Win7 HP 64 Bit, AMD Six-core 3.50 GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Win version - closes by itself after closing last picture, about 9 of ten times (so not always) on two different PCs

sometimes after next start there is a warning about unsaved picture (even it was saved before closing) found, also not always

no crash report or any error shown

I get this behaviour too. It happens having edited a picture when I click the top right 'x' to close.  AP asks to save to when I click 'yes' and then AP itself closes.  If I save the edit first (File>Save) and then close the picture by clicking 'x' it does not happen. It's very annoying as I constantly need to reopen AP.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Subclavius said:

I get this behaviour too. It happens having edited a picture when I click the top right 'x' to close

The top right x is the Close Window button. If you're clicking that one in the application window then Photo is doing just what you asked.

To close the document you'd click the x on the document's tab, it the document's window if you've floated it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The top right x is the Close Window button. If you're clicking that one in the application window then Photo is doing just what you asked.

To close the document you'd click the x on the document's tab, it the document's window if you've floated it.

@Subclavius is referring to the X on the document's view (in both statements). I've just tried this, and it is indeed a bug. It's probably that the application is crashing after the save (we're already aware of some issues around saving at the minute, and this should be fixed in the next beta).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.