You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks added on a master page don't start working in the document unless I re-apply the master.

When I add a hyperlink (go to page type) on a master page, none of the pages using this master gets updated unless I re-apply the master. 
Once I re-apply the master, the links start working on all pages but it creates a Hyperlink for each page so I end up with hundreds of hyperlinks in the studio panel.

I should think that is expected behaviour. You shouldn't put the Hyperlinks in a Master Page. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I don't think I like the way that the hyperlinks currently behave with respect to the studio.

I like that they are finally there, but multiple copies of a link should really only have one entry in the list.

The way QuarkXPress handles this is MUCH better than what Publisher is currently doing.

On 3/31/2019 at 4:17 PM, Old Bruce said:

I should think that is expected behaviour. You shouldn't put the Hyperlinks in a Master Page. 

I shouldn't put hyperlinks on a master page? So to have 100 pages with the same button and the same link what should I do?

Okay, do they all go to the same anchor? In that case I see. Misunderstood. My fault.

3 minutes ago, Meztli said:

So to have 100 pages with the same button and the same link what should I do?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 hours ago, Meztli said:

Yes, same anchor/target. I guess it is a bug, we'll see.

I just did a quick nasty Document with ten pages and it works as I think you want it to. There are two Hyperlinks on the Master pages, the top one goes to page one which is a page type of link and the bottom one goes to Page 2 which is an Anchor in some text on page two. The top Hyperlink is a graphic and the bottom hyperlink is the text.

This works with the exported pdf so long as I have include hyperlinks checked in the 'more' section of the pdf export.

Master hyperlink.afpub

43 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I just did a quick nasty Document with ten pages and it works as I think you want it to. There are two Hyperlinks on the Master pages, the top one goes to page one which is a page type of link and the bottom one goes to Page 2 which is an Anchor in some text on page two. The top Hyperlink is a graphic and the bottom hyperlink is the text.

This works with the exported pdf so long as I have include hyperlinks checked in the 'more' section of the pdf export.

Master hyperlink.afpub

Yeah I tried yours and it works. Sometimes it works for me, let's say if I add 10 hyperlinks, once exported 2 will work and 8 will not. Unless I re-apply the master, then 9 of them will work. But then I have the master applied twice in all pages.

Maybe it starts having trouble once you have more masters, cause I use 10 masters (only adding links to one though). 

Check out these 2 PDF, one is before I re-apply the master. The second one is after I re-apply it.

Before:
The red squares work, "BUSINESS I" and "BUSINESS II" work, but none of the links in the months work.

After:
Now JAN, MARCH, APRIL and MAY work (colourful tabs).

I have been trying this for 3 months, and I still cannot pinpoint exactly when or why sometimes they don't work... It just seems random to me.

Before.pdf

After.pdf

16 minutes ago, Meztli said:

It just seems random to me.

Random is a mild word. I shall think on this. You want the months on each page to go to the beginning of the month and the sections on the far left are for a different part of the book but you want the same to happen with those. Is that correct?

And what are the red shapes in the corners of the pages?

slice1.jpg.8d455ce1665139736444c81734b50c9e.jpg

At a quick look at Before.pdf and After.pdf, my feeling is that  Business I,  Business II, Goals, Fitness and Budget would have to be on different pages for each week so I cannot see a way that they could be applied from a master.  The months CAN be set as  hyperlinks on a Master page and set to jump to the first page of a month.  From there you would need to set a hyperlink for each week of that month, and then from each week you would need to set hyperlinks to Business I, Business II, Goals, Fitness and Budget for that week. Now by my reckoning, that would mean at least 52 * 5 hyperlinks that would need to be manually set.

Like Old Bruce, I've done a roughout, for Jan to March, with only links for Business I and Business II set up manually.  Months can be jumped to from either the cover or any open page and these were set as hyperlinks on Master Pages to the appropriate page representing the first day of the month. For January Bus I is on page 2  and Bus 2 is on page 4.To get from Bus I  page 2 to Bus 2 (page 4) , I had to set hyperlink from Bus 2 text Page 2 to Page 4,  then a hyperlink from Bus 1 page 4 to jump back to page 2.  This has to be done for each month.  

Here is my trial Planner.pdf  which shows the links working.  The actual Publisher file is here trial planner.afpub  and it does include some anchors which I originally used but realised it was easier and better to simply set hyperlinks to jump to pages.

Is this the sort of thing you are trying to achieve? 

It would be great if one could produce a formula that  could calculate which page you wanted to jump to so that if you were on the first week of January and wanted to go to Fitness for that week, then clicking on a symbol (such as one of your red squares) would jump forward to Fitness

Pman      698246722_AffinitySpecsmine.PNG.462c5ad3b174963b86e677d02877a110.PNG

In my earlier reply I said "It would be great if one could produce a formula that  could calculate which page you wanted to jump to".  I had a little play and found that you could put a hyperlink  on a page and enter in the hyperlink type Page target box a page number + 12106201836_Affinityhyperlinkformula1.PNG.95172838d443e48a9a502ed3be9e78dc.PNG  but as soon as you click OK that number becomes 4 (in this example).

I thought then maybe  a hyperlink could be seton a Master Page  and in the target box enter the page number field + a number

eg 1817388412_Affinityhyperlinkformula2.PNG.0455fbbadfd918d6c011cc88ea7555b0.PNG  hoping that this would allow the document to jump forward 3 pages when viewed in PDF

BUT this always creates a hyperlink to page 1.

Somebody somewhere might be able to show a way to do that, then you could set hyperlinks on your master page(s) which would then let the user  jump to Business I  or Business II or Fitness etc from the first page of the week you're looking at

Pman

On 4/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, Old Bruce said:

Random is a mild word. I shall think on this. You want the months on each page to go to the beginning of the month and the sections on the far left are for a different part of the book but you want the same to happen with those. Is that correct?

And what are the red shapes in the corners of the pages?

slice1.jpg.8d455ce1665139736444c81734b50c9e.jpg

Yes the sections on the far left are just for a different section of the book. The red squares are not part of the planner, I just add them to test the creation of objects and then applying links to those objects on a master page. The visual properties of the objects update normally across the document when I add them on the master page, but the hyperlink property does not work most of the times. Unless I reapply the master.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:12 PM, PMan said:

At a quick look at Before.pdf and After.pdf, my feeling is that  Business I,  Business II, Goals, Fitness and Budget would have to be on different pages for each week so I cannot see a way that they could be applied from a master.  The months CAN be set as  hyperlinks on a Master page and set to jump to the first page of a month.  From there you would need to set a hyperlink for each week of that month, and then from each week you would need to set hyperlinks to Business I, Business II, Goals, Fitness and Budget for that week. Now by my reckoning, that would mean at least 52 * 5 hyperlinks that would need to be manually set.

Like Old Bruce, I've done a roughout, for Jan to March, with only links for Business I and Business II set up manually.  Months can be jumped to from either the cover or any open page and these were set as hyperlinks on Master Pages to the appropriate page representing the first day of the month. For January Bus I is on page 2  and Bus 2 is on page 4.To get from Bus I  page 2 to Bus 2 (page 4) , I had to set hyperlink from Bus 2 text Page 2 to Page 4,  then a hyperlink from Bus 1 page 4 to jump back to page 2.  This has to be done for each month.  

Here is my trial Planner.pdf  which shows the links working.  The actual Publisher file is here trial planner.afpub  and it does include some anchors which I originally used but realised it was easier and better to simply set hyperlinks to jump to pages.

Is this the sort of thing you are trying to achieve? 

It would be great if one could produce a formula that  could calculate which page you wanted to jump to so that if you were on the first week of January and wanted to go to Fitness for that week, then clicking on a symbol (such as one of your red squares) would jump forward to Fitness

Pman      698246722_AffinitySpecsmine.PNG.462c5ad3b174963b86e677d02877a110.PNG

Thanks for putting time into this. The sections on the far left are actually a different part of the book, they are not part of the months, so it is much easier than you were saying, sorry about the confusion. I already have this planner and many others working in the right way, but I have been having to add the hyperlinks on InDesign until Publisher stops having bugs with the hyperlinks.

I checked your example and it seems to works fine, it seems to export correctly all the links you created. However, in my case, when I add the hyperlinks, 90% of them will not work once I export the PDF, unless I re-apply the master, then they will work. 

In my BEFORE example, if you try to click on JAN, MARCH, APRIL or MAY, there is no link there when it should be. Those hyperlinks were created on the same master page as the hyperlinks of the red squares, and red squares' links do work. 
Without doing anything else, if I re-apply the master, then export, now those 
JAN, MARCH, APRIL or MAY links start working... Meaning there is a bug in the way changes on master pages are applied to the document, I should not have to re-apply the master to "force" those changes.

Now, as I am writing this, I am trying again using the new new version (1.7.0.292) and they might have fix it!!! Since it was a weird bug, I am not 100% sure yet. If I can replicate the bug again, I will be back here begging Affinity to fix this. 

False alarm, it is not fixed. :61_sob:

How do I get Affinity staff to comment on this? They might need me to send them my editing file but none of them has commented here... Do I need to tag them?

Thanks

Hi Meztli,

Sorry to hear Beta 292 hasn't cured your problem.  As to getting Affinity staff to comment, on the three occasions I've started a thread in the Bugs forum, someone has got back to me within a week, telling me that they have reported it.Bear in mind that the opening section of the Bugs forums gives clear instructions on steps to take when  reporting a suspected bug (4 instructions and 7 bullet points and maybe they don't manage to pick up so quickly on  a simple comment as your original post was [When I add a hyperlink (go to page type) on a master page, none of the pages using this master gets updated unless I re-apply the master. 
Once I re-apply the master, the links start working on all pages but it creates a Hyperlink for each page so I end up with hundreds of hyperlinks in the studio panel.]

As a further thought have you tried resetting Publisher.  Sometimes when you load a new version,  a settings error in a previous build can carry over.  T|o do a reset, hold down the CTRL key while booting Publisher until the Reset screen appears

2014831808_AffinityPublisherresetscreen.PNG.91e3114121c15e321bd5b80856592a7a.PNG  These top three are always pre-selected but you can select any of the list before clicking on the Clear button.  Publisher will then reset to factory defaults on any ticked selections. This MIGHT solve your 

I too have loaded and used 1.7.0.2.292 and have encountered the crash that was outlined in red [Please note we have discovered an issue with this build whereby the application can crash after saving a document] by AdamW.  I'm so glad that the warning was issued or I might have (almost!) had a heart attack thinking that I'd lost some precious work.

Pman 1111461809_AffinitySpecsmine.PNG.666e87d5f0cc30b3bb34e2472184d88b.PNG

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.