You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 hours ago, dmstraker said:

In 1.7.0.284

> Added support for resetting adjustment sliders via double click

Yay!!!

Thanks, folks. Productivity just went up.

I am missing something. What adjustments and how does this work?

Thanks

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Hello Rick G,
a double click on the slider and the settings reset to default.

Cheers

Reset.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Thanks for the explanation. That IS slick. I am a bit slow this morning xD

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Very useful! While at it one might consider implementing a second, equally useful power-user feature:

Return to previous slider value by "overdragging" the slider considerable.

This differs from the new double-click functionality insofar as on may also return to previous custom values. If the previous value was zero however, the slider gets reset. That way one can freely play around but can be sure that the previous value isn't lost. It's more flexible than Undo in multiple slider adjustment layers, works very well with pen /tap based input and can't get in the way.

Double-clicks seem to not always go to zero:

• Channel Mixer, double-clicking a 100% default goes to zero.
  • Posterise goes to 4 levels (from default 16).
  • Threshold goes to 50%.
  • Lens Filter goes to default 50%.
  • fx Outer/Inner Shadow Opacity goes to 100%, Radius to 5px, Intensity to 50%.
  • ...and so on.

This doesn't bother me, btw. Some of these are fairly handy.

Neatly also: if you double-click to zero, then double-click again, it returns to its former value (handy if the double-click was an accident, for testing with-without changes).

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

47 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

Double-clicks seem to not always go to zero:

I also noticed that, but it does not bother me.
I think this will be fixed in the next beta.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

• Staff

What I logged:

1. Windows - Clicking Reset in most of the Adjustment dialogs resets Opacity to 0%
  2. Windows - Brightness / Contrast Adjustment: Double clicking the slider resets the value to 1% instead of 0%
  3. Win/Mac - Posterise - Reset changes the value to 16 instead of 4
  4. Windows - Channel Mixer doesn't reset when double-clicking the nodes
  5. Windows - HSL - value is set at -0% instead of 0% (no apparent effect on the document)
  6. Mac - Channel Mixer doesn't allow you to reset values by double clicking the nodes

If you spot any more in this area please let me know :) 

• Staff
18 hours ago, hifred said:

Very useful! While at it one might consider implementing a second, equally useful power-user feature:

Return to previous slider value by "overdragging" the slider considerable.

This differs from the new double-click functionality insofar as on may also return to previous custom values. If the previous value was zero however, the slider gets reset. That way one can freely play around but can be sure that the previous value isn't lost. It's more flexible than Undo in multiple slider adjustment layers, works very well with pen /tap based input and can't get in the way.

I've just had a chat with one of the developers about this and we like the idea. I'll log this as an improvement request.

As an FYI, if you double click the node to reset to its default value, you can double click it again to set it back to the custom value you previously had. This is only on Windows so another improvement request will be going in for macOS.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

This is only on Windows so another improvement request will be going in for macOS.

<nitpick>

Isn’t that a bug rather than an improvement, Chris? Surely it can’t be ‘by design’ that the behaviour is different for the two desktop platforms!

</nitpick>

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 4/1/2019 at 1:51 PM, Chris B said:

I've just had a chat with one of the developers about this and we like the idea. I'll log this as an improvement request.

Nice!

On 4/1/2019 at 1:51 PM, Chris B said:

As an FYI, if you double click the node to reset to its default value, you can double click it again to set it back to the custom value you previously had. This is only on Windows so another improvement request will be going in for macOS.

Yes thanks, I have seen dmstraker's later post, where he mentioned this. I personally think overdragging to Undo would fell even more direct. One usually already knows while dragging that one has messed up – that way one could undo without even releasing the knob. Also a lot of retouchers work with tablets / pen displays – and the doubleclick event generally sucks with a pen.  A similarly pen-friendly implementation is btw. overdragging to remove nodes in graphs (like in curves). So, if you still have a line left on your notepad... :o)

f88a48baf58b1ff83884c56430c7620f.gif.13f0a0658f16e74b0de7410371e0c49e.gif

Node removal by overdragging in Photoshop. The gif drops a few frames, but I guess you get the sense.

@Chris B  I just tried the Beta for the first time with a Cintiq. Doubleclicking the knob with a pen doesn't work, the click target is simply too small, every tiny offset with the second click registers as repositioning. Just try it our yourself :o). To support Pen input properly one either had to enlarge the hotspot around the knob or – what other apps offer – is alternatively clicking onto the Slider Title, which is a larger and static target. This should work with pens as well.

2019-04-04_13h30_40.jpg.61d89a5392a6f971d234210c3268b124.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.