You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update failed

You might try rebooting Windows, and then running the installer as an Administrator (right-click on the .exe, choose Run as administrator).

If that doesn't work, you might try removing the application yourself, from Windows Settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hey Guuz,

What operating system are you using? Can you press the Windows key + R (on your keyboard) and type winver and provide the full build number.

The reason I'm asking is because I've seen this before when the customer was using a Windows Insider build. 

2 hours ago, Guuz said:

Version 1903 (18362.30)

Hi @Guuz, it looks like you're running a Windows Insider build. We've seen this a couple of times with previous Insider builds, and it's generally been resolved in a later Insider Build. I would suggest you get in contact with Microsoft about this particular issue if you're still struggling.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:02 AM, Guuz said:

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.7.0.284 update failed?!

+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo Customer Beta cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.

You may be able to resolve this issue using the instructions in my below post:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/80474-unable-to-update-170227-170249/&tab=comments#comment-423133

2 hours ago, Guuz said:

For me this didn't work!?

I attached the log file...

SetupUI.log

The log file is still showing the same error:

+Info: CustomAction  returned actual error code 1612 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo Customer Beta cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.

When you ran the tool from Microsoft, did it say it detected any errors and was fixing them?

After running the tool from Microsoft, did it then allow you to uninstall Affinity Photo by going to [Windows Settings > Apps]? If so which one did you uninstall, Affinity Photo Retail, Affinity Photo Beta, or both?

I uninstalled Affinity Photo 6.5.3 with the tool from Microsoft, no errors...

I also detected that there is no Install directory in C:\Windows?

When I inspected my backup file I can see the Install Folder, but when I recover it, it's still not present?

50 minutes ago, Guuz said:

I uninstalled Affinity Photo 6.5.3 with the tool from Microsoft, no errors...

I also detected that there is no Install directory in C:\Windows?

When I inspected my backup file I can see the Install Folder, but when I recover it, it's still not present?

The Microsoft tool doesn’t uninstall any programs, it just fixes any errors. After running the Microsoft tool, you then need to uninstall Affinity Photo yourself manually by going to [Windows Settings > Apps] and uninstalling it. After it is completely uninstalled, you should be able to install the new version of the software.

If you don’t run the Microsoft tool, you’ll likely find that it won’t allow you to uninstall Affinity Photo and will display an error message.

As I think it’s possible that something (maybe file cleaning software; I don't know) has deleted files in C:\Windows\Installer, I would uninstall both retail and beta versions of Affinity Photo and then reinstall them again from scratch.

Before uninstalling the previous versions of Affinity Photo, export any swatches, brushes, macros, styles, etc. that you want to keep so that you can re-import them again afterwards if need be.

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 10:02 AM, Guuz said:

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.7.0.284 update failed?!

+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo Customer Beta cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.

Naamloos.jpg

I have the same problem on Windows 8.1
- update - fail
- run as administrator - fail
- run in safe mode - fail
- run in safe mode as admin - fail
- uninstall than clean install - fail

I use 7zip to extract setup file. After extraction i run app.exe,
writing e-mail adress, and serial number program is working.

I thing the setup file have problem to use temporary folder but i don't konow why. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.