Jump to content

Recommended Posts

is there a way to preview art in outline mode (Draw Persona) while keeping the imported "template" image visible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Sweatman,

The outlines shown are only the overall shape of the bitmap "template." If I'm guessing correctly about what you want to do, the closest I've come is to decrease the template opacity to something low, 10 - 15%, and add a B&W adjustment layer. That gives a temporary grey scale "ghosted" image.


iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi gdenby - Thx for the response.    It appears that anything other than a vector layer will *not* appear in outline mode.    There are clumsy work-arounds (drawing under a Multiply layer but never seeing the template in outline mode), but that's an unfortunate drag.  =[

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sweatman said:

It appears that anything other than a vector layer will *not* appear in outline mode.

Because bitmap images are just collections of colored pixels, there are no paths to outline in them.


Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that would come close to outline would be either the Threshold Adjustment Filter or the destructive Detect edges. There is also a macro that will convert an image to a sketch like effect isn't there @R C-R ;-) 

 

You could duplicate the layer, run the macro and overlay it.


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The only thing that would come close to outline would be either the Threshold Adjustment Filter or the destructive Detect edges.

Detect Edges & macros are Affinity Photo features, & that app does not have an Outline View Mode. But even if the bitmap is processed in Photo & then edited in Designer, it still has no paths to outline, just a collection of pixels.

It is sort of like the difference between editable text & a picture of text in a bitmap image.


Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Detect Edges & macros are Affinity Photo features, & that app does not have an Outline View Mode. But even if the bitmap is processed in Photo & then edited in Designer, it still has no paths to outline, just a collection of pixels.

It is sort of like the difference between editable text & a picture of text in a bitmap image.

brain didn't see Draw Persona Doh!


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Detect Edges & macros are Affinity Photo features, & that app does not have an Outline View Mode. But even if the bitmap is processed in Photo & then edited in Designer, it still has no paths to outline, just a collection of pixels.

It is sort of like the difference between editable text & a picture of text in a bitmap image.

keyword "close "  @firstdefence did not mention that it would be vector paths.
I think the OP wants to show outlines of subjects in a raster image and use that as a drawing template(as one would with a light table)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, haakoo said:

keyword "close "  @firstdefence did not mention that it would be vector paths.

True, but it isn't "close" to the extent that the context is Designer's Outline View Mode because that view mode only shows visible object paths, similar to wireframe object view mode in some 3D apps.

I think to get what the OP wants, Designer would need either an additional view mode that shows vector & text paths but also shows bitmaps normally, or (better?) a per object outline view option.


Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Because bitmap images are just collections of colored pixels, there are no paths to outline in them.

Sorry to point out the elephant in the living room;  but that's not how (whispers) Illustrator/Corel Draw/Freehand etc. handles it.  =\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sweatman said:

Sorry to point out the elephant in the living room;  but that's not how (whispers) Illustrator/Corel Draw/Freehand etc. handles it.  =\

Can you post a screenshot of what you see in any of those apps when they are in outline view & the file only includes a single bitmap image?


Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Can you post a screenshot of what you see in any of those apps when they are in outline view & the file only includes a single bitmap image?

Fer sure.

template.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very simple. Why invent something else. This way of showing a bitmap is ideal.
first picture - normal mode. Second picture - wireframe mode.

15.thumb.png.fcd3f1089be0c984910b69044afb9564.png

16.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweatman said:
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Can you post a screenshot of what you see in any of those apps when they are in outline view & the file only includes a single bitmap image?

Fer sure.

Why is there an outline around only part of the image?


Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRAFKOM said:

Very simple. Why invent something else. This way of showing a bitmap is ideal.
first picture - normal mode. Second picture - wireframe mode.

I have never used CorelDRAW but from what I have read about its viewing modes, the wireframe ones display bitmap objects as monochrome bitmap images. Is that similar to what you would like to see as a new feature in the Affinity apps?


Affinity Photo 1.7.0 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Why is there an outline around only part of the image?

um......because that's all that's been drawn so far.

or one could say....objects on other layers have been turned off....or hidden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have never used CorelDRAW but from what I have read about its viewing modes, the wireframe ones display bitmap objects as monochrome bitmap images. Is that similar to what you would like to see as a new feature in the Affinity apps?

Exactly. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have never used CorelDRAW but from what I have read about its viewing modes, the wireframe ones display bitmap objects as monochrome bitmap images. Is that similar to what you would like to see as a new feature in the Affinity apps?

 

37 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

Exactly. :)

Okay, I see now. I could get behind that sort of improvement.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.384 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.1.138 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have never used CorelDRAW but from what I have read about its viewing modes, the wireframe ones display bitmap objects as monochrome bitmap images. Is that similar to what you would like to see as a new feature in the Affinity apps?

Exactly.

If I may use Illustrator once again as an example; after placing a bitmap image in your document, you set it's mode to "template".   This will create a monochrome bitmap image that appears like that in *every* display mode.   Very handy if, like me, you sometimes prefer working in outline mode.   =]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×