You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

outline mode preview

Hi, Sweatman,

The outlines shown are only the overall shape of the bitmap "template." If I'm guessing correctly about what you want to do, the closest I've come is to decrease the template opacity to something low, 10 - 15%, and add a B&W adjustment layer. That gives a temporary grey scale "ghosted" image.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi gdenby - Thx for the response.    It appears that anything other than a vector layer will *not* appear in outline mode.    There are clumsy work-arounds (drawing under a Multiply layer but never seeing the template in outline mode), but that's an unfortunate drag.  =[

11 hours ago, Sweatman said:

It appears that anything other than a vector layer will *not* appear in outline mode.

Because bitmap images are just collections of colored pixels, there are no paths to outline in them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The only thing that would come close to outline would be either the Threshold Adjustment Filter or the destructive Detect edges. There is also a macro that will convert an image to a sketch like effect isn't there @R C-R ;-) 

You could duplicate the layer, run the macro and overlay it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The only thing that would come close to outline would be either the Threshold Adjustment Filter or the destructive Detect edges.

Detect Edges & macros are Affinity Photo features, & that app does not have an Outline View Mode. But even if the bitmap is processed in Photo & then edited in Designer, it still has no paths to outline, just a collection of pixels.

It is sort of like the difference between editable text & a picture of text in a bitmap image.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Detect Edges & macros are Affinity Photo features, & that app does not have an Outline View Mode. But even if the bitmap is processed in Photo & then edited in Designer, it still has no paths to outline, just a collection of pixels.

It is sort of like the difference between editable text & a picture of text in a bitmap image.

brain didn't see Draw Persona Doh!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 minutes ago, haakoo said:

keyword "close "  @firstdefence did not mention that it would be vector paths.

True, but it isn't "close" to the extent that the context is Designer's Outline View Mode because that view mode only shows visible object paths, similar to wireframe object view mode in some 3D apps.

I think to get what the OP wants, Designer would need either an additional view mode that shows vector & text paths but also shows bitmaps normally, or (better?) a per object outline view option.

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Because bitmap images are just collections of colored pixels, there are no paths to outline in them.

Sorry to point out the elephant in the living room;  but that's not how (whispers) Illustrator/Corel Draw/Freehand etc. handles it.  =\

3 hours ago, Sweatman said:

Sorry to point out the elephant in the living room;  but that's not how (whispers) Illustrator/Corel Draw/Freehand etc. handles it.  =\

Can you post a screenshot of what you see in any of those apps when they are in outline view & the file only includes a single bitmap image?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Sweatman said:
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Can you post a screenshot of what you see in any of those apps when they are in outline view & the file only includes a single bitmap image?

Fer sure.

Why is there an outline around only part of the image?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, GRAFKOM said:

Very simple. Why invent something else. This way of showing a bitmap is ideal.
first picture - normal mode. Second picture - wireframe mode.

I have never used CorelDRAW but from what I have read about its viewing modes, the wireframe ones display bitmap objects as monochrome bitmap images. Is that similar to what you would like to see as a new feature in the Affinity apps?

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have never used CorelDRAW but from what I have read about its viewing modes, the wireframe ones display bitmap objects as monochrome bitmap images. Is that similar to what you would like to see as a new feature in the Affinity apps?

Exactly. :)

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

37 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

Exactly. :)

Okay, I see now. I could get behind that sort of improvement.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Exactly.

If I may use Illustrator once again as an example; after placing a bitmap image in your document, you set it's mode to "template".   This will create a monochrome bitmap image that appears like that in *every* display mode.   Very handy if, like me, you sometimes prefer working in outline mode.   =]

• 1 year later...

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 10 months later...

So I discovered a work around for this issue thanks to Danilo Fiocco.      Place your sketch at the bottom of your stack.    Draw shapes without fills until all shapes are completed.    Then go back in and do your shape thingy (fills, gradients, etc).      At that point turn off or delete your sketch layer.

It's rough, but it's the best we have for now.   😉

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2019 at 1:42 AM, Sweatman said:

is there a way to preview art in outline mode (Draw Persona) while keeping the imported "template" image visible?

This is something I really miss in Affinity Designer. And it should already be implemented, now that most people seem to do such graphics in Affinity Designer.

Vectorstyler (and apparently also Coreldraw) displays a faded grayscale version of the bitmap original in outline view (inactive and as background, so you can just draw on top), which is fabulous for tracing, and it should be easy to implement in Affinity.

Vectorstyler

Normal mode

image.png.44e69b0cf839e65b42b409e18b97d2f3.png

Outline mode

image.png.9c84ac75cb4ca181750efca1054196e2.png

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?