You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hyphenation issue

version 1.7.0.283 Windows 10

When using fonts such as Adobe Garamond Premier Pro, or Arno Pro there is an issue with auto hyphenation. As you can see in the files attached (a publisher file and a PDF) when the program chooses to hyphenate a word that is a word that CONTAINS a hyphen then 2 hyphens appear. This does not happen with Times New Roman, or some other common fonts. But, it does happen with some of the "pro" fonts from Adobe. I have not tested fonts from other companies.

hyphenation issues.afpub

hyphenation issues.pdf

Please noteIn some languages, like in polish, the double hyphen behavior is desired and in-line with typographical rules. But as far as I know it's not the case for english. I may be wrong.

I found a workaround for this: Change Minimum score value in Hyphenation settings to at least 2 - then the additional hyphens dissapear.

The remaining question is why it happens only in certain fonts...

EDIT: In Arno Pro the issue is visible only for Regular and Caption weights... That's weird. I am going to investigate it further.

EDIT 2: I can't see any significant difference between those weights in terms of OpenType features and glyph set. Serif team has to check it further

Edited by SirPL

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.