You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[By Design]"Lock Children" is gone. Why?

I can see it too, in the Context Toolbar. Any reason why it's in this toolbar? I would expect it to be in the Layer menu.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

According to the Designer Help for 1.6:

• Lock Children—when checked, any child object(s) of a selected ungrouped object cannot be altered when the selected object is transformed. Great for maintaining the size, position and aspect ratio of a clipped picture when resizing its parent object.

So, it sounds to me like all the following need to be true:

1. You have the Move Tool selected, and
  2. You have a non-grouped object selected, which
  3. Has children.

When I satisfy all those conditions, in 1.6, the Context Menu has a Lock Children button. And on 1.7 I still have that button in the same place on the Context menu.

I am on Windows, so either there's a bug on Mac or your tests haven't satisfied all the required conditions for Lock Children to be available. Or I'm not understanding your problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Frank Jonen said:

If you're on Windows, the Windows beta has another area, this area is for the Mac beta.

That's true, but as the program is supposed to operate identically across Windows and Mac, the experiences of a Windows user (especially when discussing what should work) are relevant to most Affinity on Mac discussions, just as the experiences of Mac users are relevant to most Affinity on Windows discussions.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, Frank Jonen said:

Same file, new beta. The Lock Children option that was previously there is now gone.

Are you saying that it was there on a previous beta, or there in 1.6.

Unless you can see it in 1.6, it is also possible that it was there by error in a previous beta, and has been removed when they noticed it present in some situation it shouldn't have been.

-- Walt
PC:

Frank Jonen, I have to ask a pretty basic question, because you mentioned "groups." Do you get the option to lock children if you clip objects inside another? Like @>|< mentioned, locking children shouldn't be available for groups. It's available for clipping, but that doesn't necessarily mean all types of nested layers.

Sorry if this seems too obvious.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

So, it sounds to me like all the following need to be true:

1. You have the Move Tool selected, and
  2. You have a non-grouped object selected, which
  3. Has children.

That seems right... and for me, that works - I am on Mac and I get the Lock Children in the context toolbar when those conditions are met.

5 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Frank Jonen, I have to ask a pretty basic question, because you mentioned "groups." Do you get the option to lock children if you clip objects inside another? Like @>|< mentioned, locking children shouldn't be available for groups. It's available for clipping, but that doesn't necessarily mean all types of nested layers.

Sorry if this seems too obvious.

The option was there before with the exact same file. With the new update it isn't.

I don't care anymore, I recreated the file in the retail version where it still works.

5 minutes ago, Frank Jonen said:

The option was there before with the exact same file. With the new update it isn't.

I don't care anymore, I recreated the file in the retail version where it still works.

It would help if you'd provide the file where you have the option in the retail version and not in the beta, because apparently we're not understanding what you mean. Or some good screen shots including the Layers panel.

-- Walt
PC:

12 hours ago, Frank Jonen said:

What is a beta right now will eventually replace the retail version.

If there is in fact a problem here that the rest of us haven't been able to identify, then you will care later on when the next retail version breaks because the problem was not found in the beta and thus continued to exist in the release.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

What is a beta right now will eventually replace the retail version.

If there is in fact a problem here that the rest of us haven't been able to identify, then you will care later on when the next retail version breaks because the problem was not found in the beta and thus continued to exist in the release.

Good point.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

38 minutes ago, Frank Jonen said:

But the people here made an effort to misunderstand it to a point of not reading at all what I wrote

We read what you wrote, but as you described the function in a way that seemed contrary to the documented behavior of the product, we were confused.

And when we asked for clarification and actual data (screenshots, etc.) you did not provide them.

If you go away now without giving the information we suggested that you provide, then as fde101 said you're only going to end up with the problem appearing again when the beta is finally released. It would be to your and everyone else's benefit to continue the discussion, and demonstrate with screenshots and a file what you're talking about.

-- Walt
PC:

You really make an effort to not get this.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

And when we asked for clarification and actual data (screenshots, etc.) you did not provide them.

See screenshot here, no checkbox. Click the image to see the image bigger. This is of the full window toolbar area. 

On 3/31/2019 at 5:45 PM, Frank Jonen said:

It's not where it always was.

Only the Artboards have it now, for Groups it's gone.

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 17.44.51.png

Final list before I let this topic go for good.

1. Groups had the option to 'Lock Children' - I used it extensively
  2. I saved the file
  3. I opened the app later on, the same day
  4. The updater suggested a new beta
  5. I installed the current beta
  6. I opened the file again
  7. I clicked on the group to resize it once again like I did hours before
  8. The checkbox was gone

Either it gets fixed or it doesn't. If it doesn't get fixed, I just won't use Groups anymore and nest everything in Sub Objects. Not worth going on and on and on in a Forum about.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:28 AM, Frank Jonen said:

You could clear all this up by simply showing us a full screen screenshot of the retail version showing the "lock children" checkbox for the group and showing us the layers panel.

Too many people have tried to help you in this thread only to be told "they just don't get it"

Nobody gets it, including me, as it's not something, we've seen before.  You may have discovered some weird combination of layers/groups that gives you the "lock children" option but we can't see it.

So please show us.

It really is that simple.

Only then, maybe, could we figure out what is going on.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi all, 

Just to confirm. Lock children for Groups was not an option in 1.6, is not an option in 1.7 and will not be an option in the future, as it's not needed.

There is no reason why you would need to move an "invisible" container and leave its contents in place. 

I have closed this as "by design". 

Thanks,

Gabe, 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.