You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advanced Typography

This post is in regards to the Advanced Typography Tutorial video.. when i click the type icon and pull up the menu, then hit the typography button, then hit the 'OpenType" button, it pulls down the menu but it only has Figure Positions and Capitals-   See attached screenshot from my iPad.. I do have the up to date current version of Affinity Designer.. Is the advanced typography menus off by default like the 'rotate canvas'???? it's very annoying paying the full amount and it not having the full features as demonstrated in the Tutorial videos.  Or am I missing something?  I am still learning this app after all.

Thanks

IMG_0670.JPG

Edited by Azereen876

17 minutes ago, Azereen876 said:

Oh I see.. Thanks!   It would have been nice if the Tutorial video stated that.. the impression i got was that it can do this with whatever font you have selected.

Probably should have been pointed out if it wasn't. I haven't watched any of the tutorials.

Here's a font with swashes...first, without the swash feature active:

capture-002625.png.11f7f490a357876fbb1249eb3a0f4ab6.png

And with the feature activated:

capture-002626.png.310254eabb4119d3522978b8d3ba873c.png

Serif has good opentype feature implementation.

Take care, Mike

Looks like none of the default fonts that come with the program have opentype.. i found none that can do swashes or stylistic alterations.. most have super text or sub text or annotation features-

What is the font you used in your screen shot?  Is there a good font source that will work with Affinity Designer on the iPad Pro that supports opentype?

Just now, Azereen876 said:

Looks like none of the default fonts that come with the program have opentype.. i found none that can do swashes or stylistic alterations.. most have super text or sub text or annotation features-

What is the font you used in your screen shot?  Is there a good font source that will work with Affinity Designer on the iPad Pro that supports opentype?

I think I may be able to hunt down a free font that has some OT features. It'll take getting back to the computer, so it may take a bit of time.

The font I used is not commercially available.

Most any font by Laura Worthington has X number of features (one of the best script font makers, but she has other designs). Same is pretty true of fonts by Emily Spadoni (mostly script type of fonts). Bookmania by Mark Simonson has swashes (and more).

I don't have an iPad. So how fonts are installed is a process I have little concept of. The Affinity applications have (as far as I know) the same text-handling capabilities, though.

Okay, fair enough.  Thank you, and I appreciate the prompt responses to my inquiries.   It's good to see prompt responses in forum posting. As I said before- I'm still familiarizing and learning this app on the ipad pro.. so in due time, I will get the hang of it. and in the meant time, I will also ask around or search rather, for any OT fonts that affinity on the ipad supports.

Edited by Azereen876

6 hours ago, Azereen876 said:

I'm still familiarizing and learning this app on the ipad pro

Free fonts https://www.dafont.com/de/theme.php?cat=606

This may help. It’s a searchable PDF version of the built in Help file, lots of good info.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 weeks later...

Since March I have found a whole host of free fonts that have OT features to it- but now my problems lies in 'importing' them to Designer from the import font part of the options... I go to 'on my iPad' and i cannot for the life of me find anything that is selectable- what ever I do find is ghosted out so you can't click on it. 

24 minutes ago, Azereen876 said:

I go to 'on my iPad' and i cannot for the life of me find anything that is selectable- what ever I do find is ghosted out so you can't click on it.

I think you need to save the fonts to cloud storage if you want to use the built-in font import feature, but for greater flexibility you can add configuration profiles to make the fonts available to all of your apps. I like and use Florian Schimanke’s AnyFont (not free, but quite inexpensive); I’ve also installed numerous fonts from Font Squirrel, using the ‘Install on iPad’ buttons which are displayed on their pages.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

thanks @Alfred !  I will give it a try.. I have AnyFont on my iPad and i got a handful of fonts off of there.. but still can't get them on Designer even with a profile- i must be missing a step or something- but I will say that I have not tried to put it on the iCloud yet- I will have to try that.

6 minutes ago, Azereen876 said:

I have AnyFont on my iPad and i got a handful of fonts off of there.. but still can't get them on Designer even with a profile- i must be missing a step or something

If you’ve followed through the installation steps (firstly in AnyFont and then in the Settings app) they should be available in Affinity Designer, but you’ll need to close and reopen AD if it was open when you installed the fonts.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Azereen876 said:

I thought it did follow the instructions but I must have missed something. lol 

Do they show up when you go to ‘Settings > General > Profiles’? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Azereen876 said:

Yes, I have fonts in that location

But those fonts don’t show up in Designer?? o.O

Alfred spacer.png

No, I didn’t mean that! The ‘Import Fonts’ feature is for importing fonts which are not generally available on your iPad. Once you’ve installed a configuration profile for a font, it will be available in AD without any further action on your part, just like the fonts that come with iOS.

Alfred spacer.png

oh ok.. I see. I have to check AD then, when it comes to selecting fonts from within the program.

Checking.... Checking... ah okay, i can confirm it:  Those fonts are there within AD.  I didn't realize they would automatically show up within the programs font selections- i thought I had to do something else to make it show up.. thanks for the assistance @Alfred

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 7:41 PM, Josie said:

For the typography how do I do swashes for the text using the iPad?

thanks

Select the text and go to the Character section of the Text Studio. Tap on ‘Typography’ and then tap on ‘OpenType’ to display the available OpenType features for your chosen font. If swashes are included in the font you may be able to choose different stylistic sets for a variety of swashes.

Alfred spacer.png