You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Translation missing (german)

Hi,

Tried to open a AP 1.6.x-File in the recent BETA and got this:

827782316_AffinityPhoto.png.be58c6d0d3afda8ebda60378cae89a9c.png

(Translated german text is missing..)

not a big issue but: better safe/save than sorry...
since there is no "save in Release-Version - FileType" - Option

And:
Perhaps you want to try to reduce the size of this pop-Up-window?
just add a linebreak before "You can either.."

kind regards
Fritz

@Chris B - here's the missing translation:

*.afphoto wurde mit der regulären Affinity-Photo-Version erstellt, nicht mit der Beta.

Beim Bearbeiten mit der Betaversion können der Datei zusätzliche Merkmale hinzugefügt werden, welche die reguläre Version nicht verarbeiten kann. Es ist auch gut möglich, dass sich die Datei anschließend nicht mehr mit der regulären Affinity-Photo-Version öffnen lässt.

Sie können das Öffnen der Datei komplett abbrechen, mit der Originaldatei oder mit einer Kopie der Datei weiterarbeiten.

Wie möchten Sie fortfahren?

Abbrechen     Originaldatei bearbeiten     Kopie bearbeiten

---

Note: I am professional translator and (advertizing) copywriter, working for the big names.
If you wish, you can send me missing EN > DE fragments via eMail. If it's smaller pieces like the above, I'll do the translations free of charge.
Glossary or better - TM in Trados format (de-facto standard of the translation industry) would be appreciated to be able to maintain consistency with the terminology used so far.

• Staff

@Jörn Reppenhagen

As Chris explained this particular dialog has slipped through the net. We didn't say we do not know what to put, we said that it was overlooked and already localised in the current Mac beta.

We already use industry standard methods and have had a relationship with the same German translation service for over 15 years, who knows the industry and terminology used thanks.

As a professional translator you should realize that if does not do your profession any favours to translate professional applications for free and we are happy to pay for the service that we get. However, if you have the time to look over our German beta and offer any critique we would pass your comments on to see if things can be improved going forward.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor: I had some fears my offer could be interpreted as kind of competing. That's why I wrote "free of charge".

And as you could see, I also wrote "you can send me missing EN > DE fragments via eMail" .

So this referred to missing parts or "emergency" situations, I just wished to do you a favor by filling the gap, while you obviously interpreted this as a kind of job application or a call for improvements, usually utilized for establishing a business relationship through the backdoor. Not my intention, simply not my style.

As an experienced translator I am not really pleased about condescending formulations like "As a professional translator you should realize ...", suggesting lack of professional knowledge.
As a perception psychologist, I know this particular formulation was meant to offend, otherwise you had chosen something like "As a professional translator you know ..."; but never ever instructional formulations like "you should realize".

This is my very first encounter with Serif staff causing a real negative feel.

German saying: "Jede Gefälligkeit rächt sich" - every courtesy takes it's toll.

• Staff

I did not see it as competing, I accept it was a generous offer. Just one I turned down. As for explaing my posts meaning to me and others, I know what I meant thanks.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Jörn Reppenhagen said:

A simple "sorry" instead of a follow-up using the same dismissive tone would have been sufficient and appreciated.

Apologies @Jörn Reppenhagen, we've investigated the problem of the missing translation, and it turns out our translation process has been failing for certain strings that contain line breaks. We do actually have a translation for the string in question, so I've fixed the problem with the translation process, and in the near future you should find this working as expected.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Staff
4 hours ago, Jörn Reppenhagen said:

A simple "sorry" instead of a follow-up using the same dismissive tone would have been sufficient and appreciated.

Please also accept my apologies for the tone of response you have received. I know it's sometimes difficult to convey things properly in written forms and sometimes they come across not quite as they were intended - sometimes even subtle differences can add up to a whole post having a totally different feel/perceived intent and I can only hope this was the case here.

Again, I would like to offer my personal apologies and reassure you that when I read your very kind offer I thought nothing other than how generous it was and wished to thank you accordingly. Please, if it is not too late I would like to encourage you not to leave the forums with a sour taste, but instead to try to put the issue to one side and know that your comments were well received and appreciated.

As Mark said in the post above, a genuine thank you for your feedback :)

Matt

• Staff

@Jörn Reppenhagen 

Please accept my apologies for my tone yesterday, it was not appropriate, sorry. Mark and Matt have expressed our opinion far more eloquently and appropriately.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.