You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Book Cover Design

I would like to be able to create book cover designs that generates bar codes. There are two websites that sells this already: https://bookcreative.com/

and https://bookcoverly.com/

They are selling the same software, Book Creative came from BookCoverPro. BookCoverPro went out of business and started Book Creative. Then, Book Creative sold it to someone else and then, created BookCoverly. Both websites is selling the same product for the same prices. It is a nice program for writers that want to save money and create their own book cover designs. The software even generates bar codes for ISBN (very nice feature) and comes with templates, marketing templates such as: business cards, brochures, CD covers, Ebook covers, Kindle book cover,  Brochures, Fliers, Mailers, Bookmarks, Magazine Covers, Bumper stickers, Posters, Business Cards, CD/DVD covers, Postcards, & Envelopes.

So, if Affinity Publisher could add this feature,  it would be totally awesome!

If you want to create book covers, you can use Affinity Designer or Affinity Publisher.

And for generating ISBN, you can find a lot of site that'll generate the bar codes for free as an image, like this one, or you can use inkScape for a vector one, (Extensions > Output (?) > bar codes, in French: Extensions > Rendu > Code-barres) that you can copy-paste in some Affinity application.

About those applications you showed, I'm wondering how they work. Who pay the font and pictures licences? Do you pay thoses when you buy a template?

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

I'm confused as to what you are asking for.
Do you want template book covers to be provided with the software, or do you want the facility to add bar codes to a document?

Yes, it would be a nice feature to have book cover templates provided with Affinity Publisher and the ability to generate bar codes in the software.

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

If you want to create book covers, you can use Affinity Designer or Affinity Publisher.

And for generating ISBN, you can find a lot of site that'll generate the bar codes for free as an image, like this one, or you can use inkScape for a vector one, (Extensions > Output (?) > bar codes, in French: Extensions > Rendu > Code-barres) that you can copy-paste in some Affinity application.

About those applications you showed, I'm wondering how they work. Who pay the font and pictures licences? Do you pay thoses when you buy a template?

When you buy the book cover software the pictures/fonts are included in the licenses.

But, does Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher have the book cover templates? because if it doesn't, it seems as if it would be time consuming to figure out the dimensions for the book cover, spine, etc., and having the ability to generate a bar code would from the software would save a lot of time.

2 hours ago, redred said:

But, does Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher have the book cover templates? because if it doesn't, it seems as if it would be time consuming to figure out the dimensions for the book cover, spine, etc., and having the ability to generate a bar code would from the software would save a lot of time.

Print establishments calculate the spine thickness. It's easy to take that dimension and create a cover.

As for ISBN codes, when I purchase one I generally receive the file for it. The couple places that do not provide the actual file, I use a separate application to create it in vector format and place it in the cover file.

I guess - if ever - it isnt priority on the list of features to integrate book cover templates in APub. In fact, apps like InDesign doesnt have them too, but the tools are fine to make your own cover and layout templates and then save them as assets for future use. So I suggest you sit down and do some cover template on your own, good way is to make a screenshot from one of those tools you mentioned and import the picture into APub and then build your design on that, when you dont know how to do it completely by yourself.

I make the graphic design and illustration for book covers. Is quite fun.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:57 AM, MikeW said:

Print establishments calculate the spine thickness. It's easy to take that dimension and create a cover.

As for ISBN codes, when I purchase one I generally receive the file for it. The couple places that do not provide the actual file, I use a separate application to create it in vector format and place it in the cover file.

Ok, thank you for your feedback.