You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

no layer selection possible in Publisher after reload file

I made a document in Affinity Publisher (latest beta) and saved it.

I also exported it into a pdf document.

Today after opening the document the layers are visible, I can click on the and they flash shortly. I can no longer select any layer anymore in my document.

What did I do wrong and can the layer functioning be restored in this document?

Looking forward to any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Antoon

• Staff

Hi Antoon,

I'm not having any issue selecting layers with this file, are you selecting them via the layer tab or by clicking the objects on the page? Which page specifically are you having this issue on?

Do you get the issue on a new document?

Thanks!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

Apologies for the delay. I'm located in Europe.

Opening a new documents shows the layers and handles to reshape, etc. Everything is working fine.

Checking with another Apple computer show the problem as reported in this specific document.

It looks as if all layers are 'locked', I can add new layers to this document but cannot select and manipulate the present ones. 'Lock' and 'Unlock All' do not seem to help. This is the case for both pages. I have attached some screenshots from the area's where layers are to be selected. Also selecting a 'layer' in the document show a 'selection lining' of the layer but without the handles to manipulate the layers. I hope this clarifies the issue a bit more. Thanks for your help!

Screenshots Publisher.docx

• Staff

Hi Antoon,

This is because (if you are on Page 1) all that exists on that page is coming from the master page, so you would either need to edit the layers on the master page (for page 1, that would be Jaarbrocure basis).

Alternatively you can right click on the master page layer on the layers tab and click "Edit Detached".

Thanks

Hi Jon,

Thanks! You saved my day. However does this mean that one has to edit in the 'Master page' and not in the derived page itself?

I could not find the command 'Edit Detached' in stead I selected all layers in the Masterpage and gave an 'Unlock All' command. That seems to work.

Thanks again. Like the software very much.

Regards, Antoon

• Staff

Yeah, some people have varying workflows, but generally you only put content on a Master Page that you would want on every single page, so you'd never want to edit the content outside of the Master Page (so then it updates on every page you have that master page assigned to).

image.png

Glad you are enjoying the software! I've attached a pic of where the Edit Detached option is should you need it in the future.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.