You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What happens when the final is coming?

When the final is coming do we get at least 2,3 days to use the BETA further? It will take some time to export/import some of my "propcol" stuff i have created with the BETA. So is there a crossing-time and how long is this? 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• Staff

Hey Polygonius,

I'm not sure what we will plan on doing just yet. We obviously want to make it as easy as we can for our users but some of the limitations with how the App Store works make this a bit tricky. 

If you update through the App Store, the beta (as it stands now) will not run. Extending the beta for a few days might be the only solution to your worries (just as long as you don't update).

I'm sure we will know more closer to the time :) 

24 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If you update through the App Store, the beta (as it stands now) will not run.

What if you made a backup copy of the app before the app store updated it, then renamed the updated version and renamed the backup copy in its place?

Obviously this would be a temporary renaming to last long enough to let the beta see the previous version while still having the updated version available to use...

Thanx Chris,

ok, if the BETA is still 2,3 days active (without installing Final) thats completly fine for me. 

BTW: what happens with the "serif.beta.user-folder" when installing the final? will it trash automatically by the final-setup or do i have to trash by hand? Maybe the easiest way would be if i duplicate the whole beta user/propcol-folder(content), just before update and replace it with the final. I do not need my 1.67 stuff anymore.  Is this possible or will it not run? I mean it should be backward-compatible, and as far i can see, there is no registration-stuff in it, so it should, shouldnt it? 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

2 hours ago, Polygonius said:

BTW: what happens with the "serif.beta.user-folder" when installing the final? will it trash automatically by the final-setup or do i have to trash by hand?

That is a damned good question, I was assuming it would be necessary to trash by hand, but I worry about missing some. Perhaps Serif could give us a list of files to trash once the beta(s) are done.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

That is a damned good question, I was assuming it would be necessary to trash by hand, but I worry about missing some. Perhaps Serif could give us a list of files to trash once the beta(s) are done.

I would have thought to keep it around to preserve settings and such for the 1.8 betas?

Good point, but I would still like a list of files and the locations. I will make a suggestion.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am not completely following this discussion but one thing must be achieved in all new versions: all the files worked and saved in 1.6.7 MUST be perfectly openable with the 1.7x. example of this not being the case are here 

The reason for this necessity, among others,  is that there are Limited Editions created with the 1.6.7 and they must remain identical to the end of the edition, tweaking the file in the newer version to make it similar to the original is not an option.

I think this must be taken into consideration, especially in a photo/images editing software.

11 hours ago, srg said:

one thing must be achieved in all new versions: all the files worked and saved in 1.6.7 MUST be perfectly openable with

I agree.  The general disregard for the integrity of the image from the previous version which seems to be suggested by the responses Serif gave in that thread are somewhat disconcerting.

11 hours ago, fde101 said:

I agree.  The general disregard for the integrity of the image from the previous version which seems to be suggested by the responses Serif gave in that thread are somewhat disconcerting.

But @James Ritson did say "watch this space" in the (so far) last post in that topic. And I recall at least one other topic where, if I remember correctly, someone from Serif mentioned the possibility of tagging the files in some way to ensure that files with adjustments that used the older algorithm would continue to use the old algorithm.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/29/2019 at 12:44 PM, Chris B said:

but some of the limitations with how the App Store works make this a bit tricky. 

Hi Chris, could you please explain what limitations these are?

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff
22 hours ago, Puck said:

Hi Chris, could you please explain what limitations these are?

Maybe limitation was the wrong word, but once the App Store is updated, there is no way of forcing the same 1.7.X beta run up. So just don't update the App Store version until we have figured out the best way to advise users how to move everything over.

At present, it is too early to say exactly what will happen or what we are going to do.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Maybe limitation was the wrong word, but once the App Store is updated, there is no way of forcing the same 1.7.X beta run up. So just don't update the App Store version until we have figured out the best way to advise users how to move everything over.

At present, it is too early to say exactly what will happen or what we are going to do. 

I see! Many thanks for this information.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff

All,

The beta will continue to function indefinitely once 1.7 is released (as the final beta and the released product will be the same). You will be able to migrate your assets over at your leisure.

We are aware of the differences in rendering certain adjustments etc. between 1.6 and 1.7 - this will be resolved before we ship 1.7.

Thanks,

Andy.

17 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

The beta will continue to function indefinitely

Presumably that means "until it expires" as the rest of the betas do?

Otherwise someone could theoretically use the beta indefinitely without buying the product?

Or is the implication that expiration is ignored once purchased?

42 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Presumably that means "until it expires" as the rest of the betas do?

Otherwise someone could theoretically use the beta indefinitely without buying the product?

Or is the implication that expiration is ignored once purchased?

The Photo Beta is a customer beta, only usable by those who already own the retail version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Photo Beta is a customer beta, only usable by those who already own the retail version.

Oops, sorry, for some reason my mind crossed over and I was thinking of the Publisher beta.

Agree that for the Photo and Designer betas this shouldn't matter... at least not until we hit betas of 2.0?  :35_thinking:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.